Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey

Finally got the courage to go see doctor about my SA and she gave me Lustral 50mg which contains Sertraline. She said that she could not prescribe me the "usual" medication because I am asthmatic so this was the next best thing. I have also been booked in for Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT).

Has anyone had any experience with either of these things, both CBT and Sertaline?

·
Pastry Case
1,065 Posts
Hi. Yes, I was on Lustral for quite a few years and tried CBT. I got on well with Lustral(don't be fobbed off with a cheaper version ..... I was once and it didn't work), although towards the end I began to experience side-effects which prompted me to stop taking it. But while I was taking it it gave me respite from my depression to some degree and also helped me a little with SA, although I have to say that mainly it felt as if it was just being suppressed, muffled, but still, if it allows you to do what you want to do .... great!

As for the CBT, well, I didn't get on with that at all and gave it up after about a month. I found it stressful, time-consuming and lacking in direction. It probably depends a lot on how competent your therapist is in guiding you through it. Good Luck!

Reactions: watertouch

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Hey

Finally got the courage to go see doctor about my SA and she gave me Lustral 50mg which contains Sertraline. She said that she could not prescribe me the "usual" medication because I am asthmatic so this was the next best thing. I have also been booked in for Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT).

Has anyone had any experience with either of these things, both CBT and Sertaline?
CBT works somewhat and I have been doing it for only 4 months. It takes time and dedication on your part. You want to get better? You and only you can make the effort to get better. Picture CBT like going to the gym and what you put in is what you get out of it. Some users on this forum say CBT doesn't work but it does slightly and can take some time. The above user states frustration with CBT. This is completely normal. CBT caused an increase in my anxiety at first because you are facing your fears.

Every person in this forum has coping methods for their anxiety, whether is be drugs or a pattern of thinking or acting. CBT basically drops your current coping method and introduces new coping strategies for each situation. This takes time but I am slowly getting better.

All in all I think CBT can be very useful, especially the more you practice and change your pattern of thinking. I think that in 5 years from now I will have very little social anxiety. You basically re-train your brain, more permanent solution than medicine. One last thing, make sure you connect with the therapist. If they don't challenge you and you don't really see improvement, switch therapists. My last therapist gave me coping strategies that didn't work for me. She couldn't help me figure out my problems. The new one I see challenges my thinking and recognizes patterns I have...

PM me if you have any questions about CBT.

·
Down the rabbit hole
4,499 Posts
Hey

Finally got the courage to go see doctor about my SA and she gave me Lustral 50mg which contains Sertraline. She said that she could not prescribe me the "usual" medication because I am asthmatic
That aply to like one drug Inderal it's a "non-selective " beta-blocker, some people with asthma can take Atenolol which is also a beta-blocker but selective...
Then you have antihistamines like Atarax, and the Benzo Xanor, Temesta, Klonopin...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies, I tend to find mixed feelings about CBT online. I will give it a try though of course as I really need to find a method to help me cope with the outside world. If it turns out that it does not work for me then at least I know I tried.

In regards to the sertraline, I'm glad it worked for you for the time it did. Took my first one a few hours ago so both eager and nervous to see how they do. I've read I'm a few places that they can make you feel worse for the first couple of weeks as they adjust to your system.

·
Down the rabbit hole
4,499 Posts
Sure it start working in 2hours... But don't read the cheatleaf with the side effects, it will make you paranoid!... Go hide it somewhere! :)

But yeah Zoloft i had a damn spider crawl over my palm and was like, "ohh im gonna let you out"... Normally ide freak!! It's a damn spider on my hand!!! So yeah it does work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts