Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bosses boss invited me and a co-worker to lunch. I am freaking out and the day is getting near. Is there any way for me to get out of this lunch??

My heart is racing just thinking about it.

The other person invited talks a lot but I just feel like it will make me stand out even more as the one person not talking.

I am terrified of this woman. She has like 3 masters degrees, attractive...I don't have anything in common with her. I don't know what to talk about. And I stutter when I get nervous. I just don't want to go.

·
Registered
25 Posts
You won't be expected to keep pace with your chatterbox coworker. Before the lunch, spark up a conversation with your boss about your chatterbox coworker to confirm this. While you're at it, admit that you stutter. She'll view it as charming quirk and understand. (I stutter too, so I know this).

·
I can't take this...
493 Posts
My bosses boss invited me and a co-worker to lunch. I am freaking out and the day is getting near. Is there any way for me to get out of this lunch??

My heart is racing just thinking about it.

The other person invited talks a lot but I just feel like it will make me stand out even more as the one person not talking.

I am terrified of this woman. She has like 3 masters degrees, attractive...I don't have anything in common with her. I don't know what to talk about. And I stutter when I get nervous. I just don't want to go.
Just fake it til you make it. Pretend you've been good friends with these people for years. It's called "assuming rapport." Just fake your confidence and tryyy not to stress yourself out too much.

Is it just the aspect of having to socialize with them that scares you, or does it freak you out to eat in front of people? *too busy atm to read through other comments*

·
Registered
82 Posts
I had one of these when i started my current job with the boss and another new guy. Turned out the other guy was even more shy and awkward than me. I guess it helped that i had some prior rapport with the boss.

It should be obvious fairly quick if the boss has an agenda for this lunch or not. I would say let her steer the conversation and just be sure to get your opinion in once in a while. She wouldn't have invited you if she didn't want to at least hear some of what you've got to say.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts