Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Digimon Loyalist
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past few weeks I have been trying to have a lucid dream with no success. For those who don't know lucid dreaming is becoming self aware and having complete control of your dreams. Frequently I experience social anxiety in my dreams and would to love experience lucidity. I've read online that becoming lucid is an amazing surreal feeling that is "hyper" realistic. It would be great to lose my inhibitions and have control, the complete opposite of my life. Two methods I have recently used to help become lucid are keeping a dream journal and notice recurring themes. As well as having "reality checks" throughout the day. From reading my dream journal I've noticed that my older sister and my two dogs are recurring images. I've done all of this and still no success.
I find it slightly depressing that the most I have to look forward to in life is having lucid dreams. :roll
Has anyone here ever had a lucid dream?

·
Positively Revolting Hag
6,547 Posts
I've had a few before but as soon as I get so excited about realising that I'm dreaming that I wake up. It's very frustrating.
It's weird, I don't experience any social anxiety when I'm dreaming. I'm very outgoing and confident in my dreams and it makes me wish that I was like that in real life.

·
Geese
20,769 Posts
I wish I could have a lucid dream (then again I have not tried). So many times I have woken up from a dream and wished I was consciously in control of it because they were super cool like racing F1 cars or something xD.

·
Digimon Loyalist
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only time I have social anxiety in my dreams is when the "scenario" is very realistic and not crazy like most dreams are. I've actually read that when first becoming lucid you should not become too excited but should start spinning immediately to remain lucid in your dream. :)

·
ಠ ¿ ಠ
913 Posts
I find that I have lucid dreams on a more daily basis if I've recently been practicing meditating. I guess the mindfulness aspect of it helps - when you meditate, you'll probably find that you'll more often be aware of when you're dreaming as well as when your body is about to fall asleep while lying in bed, though it'll still be hard to "stay asleep" when the excitement kicks in.

·
Positively Revolting Hag
6,547 Posts
The only time I have social anxiety in my dreams is when the "scenario" is very realistic and not crazy like most dreams are. I've actually read that when first becoming lucid you should not become too excited but should start spinning immediately to remain lucid in your dream. :)
I'll keep that in mind and try that next time...if I ever have another lucid dream.

·
Banned
372 Posts
I've had lucid and semi lucid dreams but they don't last long because I either get distracted or have false awakenings. Thinking about having lucids and doing reality checks throughout the day works well for me. Spinning in the dream prolongs it slightly, as someone has said already.

The clarity in some of them can be amazing. I had one last week where I became lucid in the middle of this crazy landscape my mind had concocted. It became much more clear and detailed and I went flying around thinking "wow this is so beautiful!" and getting all excited, which is probably why it didn't last long.:roll

I find it slightly depressing that the most I have to look forward to in life is having lucid dreams. :roll
ditto:blank

·
Registered
380 Posts
I've had one or two lucid dreams, I remember one like it was anything.. My dream was playing, and I could hear myself saying 'wow, this is a dream.. I'm dreaming' and I controlled it for a couple of minutes.. But then it all sort of spun out, and I can't remember anything after that.

I most of my dreams too.. Almost every morning, I can recall my dream and explain them to other people.

·
Banned
372 Posts
what do you mean?
In dreams writing is messed up and jumbled, clocks and signs don't look right.
an example of a reality check is to look at a sign, make sure it makes sense, then look at it again in a few seconds to make sure the writing hasn't changed. another reality check is touching your nose to feel if it's there.

It sounds kind of funny to do this when you know you are awake, but the point of reality checking is to get these sorts of things in your mind so hopefully you start to reality check in your dreams, and become lucid from there.

·
Banned
6,986 Posts
In dreams writing is messed up and jumbled, clocks and signs don't look right.
an example of a reality check is to look at a sign, make sure it makes sense, then look at it again in a few seconds to make sure the writing hasn't changed. another reality check is touching your nose to feel if it's there.

It sounds kind of funny to do this when you know you are awake, but the point of reality checking is to get these sorts of things in your mind so hopefully you start to reality check in your dreams, and become lucid from there.
oh i see, thanks for explaining

·
SAS Member
939 Posts
I don't think I have ever experienced lucid dreaming, but the thought of controlling one's dreams is quite intriguing. Yet, I probably would still prefer the random and surprising places that my regular dreams take me.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've found supplements quite helpful, particularly a galantamine and choline combination.

There's a book "Advanced Lucid Dreaming: The Power of Supplements" by Thomas Yuschak, which is very interesting.

>>>>>>

·
breaking free
2,171 Posts
I day dream a lot. Does that count as lucid dreaming?

·
Eh?
759 Posts
I've experienced nightmares where im able to recognize that its a dream. Once i did, the nightmare either continued for a few seconds(and got worse) and then i woke up, or i would wake up immediately. It's happened only a few times though with no intention of having lucid dreams.

I remember once when i was 8 or 9 years old, I was at my catholic school making a sculpture with clay of some angels and greek columns. anyway, i went to sleep that night in my grandmother's room on a separate bed. As usual before sleeping I'd pray. Once I woke up, but i couldnt move, but i was aware that i was awake and my eyes were open. all i could hear was a voice in a very strange language and also cursing in spanish that finally said i was going to hell. This lasted..i'd say less than 10 seconds. Like the rescent nightmares i described, the dream/nightmare always seem to get worst once im aware that its a dream, which was what happened in this case.

I dont remember all the details of it. Since i was raised in a catholic country and family, the concept of hell was pretty much heard every single day, specially when you're a young child and you do stupid things that the idea committing sin was shoved down my throat-thus me dreaming of having been contacted by Satan for being a bad boy. anyway, the dream itself was some-what scary, and has been the only dream where i've been aware and awake but unable to move or have control of the dream.

·
Sassy
2,222 Posts
I have a lucid dream about once a month. Typically, they are scary ones, so I just spend the dream screaming "Wake up! Wake up! Wake up!" Usually, it wakes me up right away, but for some it doesn't work. And then I start thinking, "Oh ****, maybe I won't wake up because I'm dead!" And, for the ones that aren't scary, I usually make myself fly and do other things that aren't possible in real life.

·
giggling ******
11,070 Posts
I was lucid dreaming today, but then you woke me up.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I get dreams that I know I'm dreaming in but most the time I can't control anything about them other than wether I wake up or not. It's quite usefull for nightmares because if you think something bad is about to happen you can just be like time to wake up. I've had a few dreams lately that are much more tactile and real than usual that I know are dreams. There is always an inbetween stage dream that I have to go through to get to my actual dream or from the dream back to awake. The inbetween stage is hard to tell that it is a dream, sometimes I can't tell, others I know right away. I always get some weird sensation of being pulled in a certain direction or spinning when entering the actual dream and often have a weird feeling as I exit the dream into the middle stage. The last time I had one I did have some slight control over what was happening. My main problem is that the feeling of being pulled, spining, floating, ect. often continues into the dream and makes me feel high and which causes me to panic. I can wake myself into the inbetween stage dream fairly eaisly but it's hard to wake myself up for real. I often don't realize I'm dreaming at first when I just come back into the inbetween stage and am yelling for help and yelling to everybody don't let me fall back to sleep. At first I thought it was caused by my lunesta but most the time i took lunesta I didn't have these dreams and then I had two when I hadn't taken the lunesta for days so I doubt the lunesta is the cause.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I've experienced nightmares where im able to recognize that its a dream. Once i did, the nightmare either continued for a few seconds(and got worse) and then i woke up, or i would wake up immediately. It's happened only a few times though with no intention of having lucid dreams.

I remember once when i was 8 or 9 years old, I was at my catholic school making a sculpture with clay of some angels and greek columns. anyway, i went to sleep that night in my grandmother's room on a separate bed. As usual before sleeping I'd pray. Once I woke up, but i couldnt move, but i was aware that i was awake and my eyes were open. all i could hear was a voice in a very strange language and also cursing in spanish that finally said i was going to hell. This lasted..i'd say less than 10 seconds. Like the rescent nightmares i described, the dream/nightmare always seem to get worst once im aware that its a dream, which was what happened in this case.

I dont remember all the details of it. Since i was raised in a catholic country and family, the concept of hell was pretty much heard every single day, specially when you're a young child and you do stupid things that the idea committing sin was shoved down my throat-thus me dreaming of having been contacted by Satan for being a bad boy. anyway, the dream itself was some-what scary, and has been the only dream where i've been aware and awake but unable to move or have control of the dream.
you were awake but you couldn't move. do you think that could have been sleep paralysis?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts