Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Digimon Loyalist
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I want to ask if anyone here has ever tried having a lucid dream.The concept of lucid dreaming is that you are aware that you're dreaming. Once you are aware, you can control the dream. Lucid dreaming can used as a natural technique for people with social anxiety. I got the idea from my therapist who said it could help.:)

Here's a link to the website about Lucid dreaming. http://www.adultswithoutfriends.com...cid_Dreaming_for_Social_Anxiety_Disorder.html

·
Registered
85 Posts
Every time I realize I'm dreaming I wake up.I would like to learn how to do that though.I'll have to check out that site.I am disapointed in my dreams lately.I used to fly in my dreams.When I was little I had dreams of a teacher who would stack like soup cans and teach me to fly over them.The cans would get higher and higher and then I didn't need them anymore and her and her cans went away.lol.

·
Registered
230 Posts
For me that only works if I'm having a nightmare and I want to wake up. If it's a good dream and I realize I'm dreaming I immediately wake up.

·
···---···
3,375 Posts
Yes, I had a fascination with lucid dreaming many years ago. I had read an article about it a magazine called Omni which is no longer in print. This was maybe 20 years ago when I was in h.s.

Anyway, the article had some exercises that were supposed to help you have lucid dreams. I had a little bit of success with it but I didn't really work on it much. I had a few brief dreams that were lucid but I would quickly wake up from them. They're interesting and the experience is really surreal. I never really thought of using it as a social anxiety treatment method though.

·
ಠ ¿ ಠ
913 Posts
Hell, I meditate every single day just for the purpose of inducing lucid dreams. I've been doing it for quite awhile now. I've heard of a group of Tibetan monks that were rumored to be able to maintain an indefinite state of lucid dreaming via meditation 24/7. I think that's the ultimate Escapism experience, so maybe one day I'll be able to do that.

·
Banned
31 Posts
Hmm, I've never tried any techniques for this although it's always interested me. I think I only realised I was dreaming once before, and in that situation it wasn't really like realising. It was more like the other me in the dream realised, because the stuff I did after that wasn't exactly things I would do in real life/want to do in real life.

·
···---···
3,375 Posts
One of the techniques that I read and used:

Basically how it works is that you look up at some text. For example, I'd look up now and see my calendar which says "June". I'll now look away and then look back at it. If the text stays the same I know I'm awake. If it changes, I know I am dreaming.

Of course I know it will stay the same because I'm not dreaming right now. The idea isn't to verify that you're actually awake, but to make a habit of doing this. Eventually you end up doing this in a dream out of habit.

When you're in a dream and do this, the text always changes. Not only that, when you're dreaming and you look up to find some text, there's always some text available. You can be in the middle of an isolated forest and if you look for text, you'll always find it in a dream. And if you do this in a dream, you'll be aware you're dreaming. You look up thinking you're awake and just doing this for habit and low and behold, the dang text completely changes on you. And it hits you that you're actually lucid dreaming. That's when the fun starts.

Problem is that you usually wake up rather quickly upon discovering this. It's very hard to stay in a lucid dream for long.

I also had a few scary opposite incidents where I felt I could not snap out of it. Once I had a situation where I was lucid and woke up only to discover I was still dreaming. I'd wake up again only to discover I was yet still dreaming. It kept happening over and over. These were borderline nightmares and I did not feel I had the control I had in other lucid dreams. The one where I kept waking up, it was dark and I could not get it to light up and I could only move very slowly... as if I were in molasses.

·
Registered
87 Posts
For me personally, I used to (not sure if this is appropriate to say or not) not masturbate for a few days, and it would probably half of the time induce a lucid dream where I could pursue sexual urges. Unfortunately, I'm still a virgin, and always wake up seconds into beginning whatever act I engaged, presumably because I don't have any concept of what it would really be like. Also, as soon as I realize I'm in a lucid dream, I know the clock is ticking and sort of go on a hunt for what I want. What really sucks are the dreams where nobody is around.. I frantically search through entire locations to no avail. It's hard to have sex when no one is there :(.

·
Digimon Loyalist
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have tried to have a lucid dream for about week with no success. :sigh I can recall any of my dream signs.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I've had lucid dreams before. They are awsome but don't do squat for SA in my opinion. You're still the same person when you wake up.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Wow. This takes me back. In grade 11 I was very into Lucid Dreaming. Uh...let's just say paranoia and schizophrenia is in my family history and I always carried a faint sense of fear about delving into my mind and discovering what was in there, so intentional attempts never worked.

I did have a fair number of accidental ones, though, with limited ability of scene-manipulation.

It helps a lot if you record every dream. If you stop paying attention, it goes away.

·
Lost
275 Posts
I used to lucid dream around a year ago. I've since somewhat lost interest. Maybe I should get into it again if it's recommended to help SA.

Has it worked for anyone here?

·
Banned
5 Posts
It's funny, I just joined this site last week and around the same time I saw an article about lucid dreaming on yahoo news, and now here is a thread about lucid dreaming. I don't remember when I first heard about lucid dreaming, but I've always been fascinated by the concept of realizing your dreaming within a dream. I always remember my dreams and most are pretty memorable in some odd way. I think I may have had lucid dreams before, but usually when I realize I'm in a dream, I still don't have a sense of reality or control. Probably linked to my SA.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts