Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has changed the way I view things and made me more carefree. I don't feel so confined within myself. Now when I want to say something, I say it with confidence. If nobody likes what I had to say, too bad so sad. I said it because I wanted to and didn't hurt anyone in the process. That's a win.

Any other experiences like this?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Never tried it , but i always hear stories like this, how was talking it? Did you just sit in a room by yourself? Or did you have a "babysiter"?

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
For me, I haven't really found that it has positive long-lasting effects. The feelings of well-being maybe last a day or so and then I have bad insomnia.

But yeah, I love LSD. It makes me motivated and actually want to get out and do things. It's safer than other drugs like cocaine and ecstasy (from what I hear) because there's little withdrawal and your body quickly builds tolerance to it so that you don't want to do it all the time. It depends on the person and how much you do though, I'm sure many people have had unpleasant experiences with the drug. If you don't overdo it, it can really be a very motivating and positive experience.

Maybe it is the interaction with my meds but to me it is like weed but with a major burst of energy. Again, could be the interactions with my meds (which I don't recommend, for the record). Trying to cover myself here, but probably not doing a good job of it.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
It can do weird things with the mind, years after you get off of it. It leaves like crystals or something in the brain that can cause highs at bad times and stuff, or something like that. :stu

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've been under the impression that LSD would make me a paranoid schizo...interesting...not possible for me, but interesting.

·
Yes
1,760 Posts
Yes it's extremely non-toxic in a physical sense but bad trips have nearly driven me to suicide.

It's really helped me to figure out some of my issues from a rational standpoint but unfortunately that's never seemed to have been enough. The boost in motivation is nice (lower doses... higher doses have me thinking so hard that by the time i get up and actually decide to do something, I've forgotten what I meant to do :)), although mixing LSD and mental illness is really playing with fire, I wouldn't feel right recommending it to anyone on this board.

It'd be really nice to see it being used as a tool for psychotherapy again but unfortunately I think that's a long way away.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
***Thread Lock Watch***
This is not exactly a topic on medication - it's on a recreational and illegal drug.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I forgot about that, they did use it in therapy sessions for a while. Another interesting note.

·
Banned
2,331 Posts
It has changed the way I view things and made me more carefree. I don't feel so confined within myself. Now when I want to say something, I say it with confidence. If nobody likes what I had to say, too bad so sad. I said it because I wanted to and didn't hurt anyone in the process. That's a win.

Any other experiences like this?
Yes, and there are other prescription drugs which are not illegal and can be talked about on this site. The main one being Topamax which apparently shares a molecule with LSD. It is a prescription migraine preventative and is also being used as an off-label way to treat alcoholism and some other disorders that researchers in the 60's and 70's claimed could be cured with LSD in some cases.

I hope this will prevent the thread from being locked by steering it towards a legal prescription medication.

If you google Tripping on Topamax then you should be able to find some examples of what I'm talking about. Also I had a personal experience with it when I took it during Klonopin withdrawal, and since it is such a slow release drug, it caught me off guard about a week into it and then I was tripping extremely hard for about another week. It actually landed me in the ER because I thought I was dying or something since I had never heard of the trippy side effect. But I laugh about it now and do feel like it made me stronger for the experience, like you said.

As with any type of scary situation though, I would recommend being around somebody who you can really trust and feel comfortable around.

Also, Topamax is not something you should take unless you follow the specific instructions from your doctor because it can be hard on you internal organs. And I really wouldn't recommend the trip because it lasts waaaaay too long even after you discontinue it, and then there possible withdrawal afterward.

Another big thing to remember is that the main benefit to anxiety that comes from tripping is the feeling that you get after it wears off, not usually what you feel during the trip.

And of course this is not medical advice, just random babbling which should not be taken seriously.

It can do weird things with the mind, years after you get off of it. It leaves like crystals or something in the brain that can cause highs at bad times and stuff, or something like that. :stu
I'm pretty sure that is just an urban legend, but it can not be studied because it is a Schedule I. drug, which makes no sense to me personally, but you know how it goes.

·
Registered
603 Posts
It doesn't leave crystals obviously, but most long-term users will report some sort of lingering effects.

For me, whenever I used it, I felt like the sensation was coming from a specific part of my brain, radiating outwards to the rest of everything I sensed and saturating it. After a while it got to where I could tap into that area of my head without taking anything, and would start to get visual sensations as if I were on the drug. It has been almost a decade since I messed around with the drug and I can still tap into this.

Also, I would frequently trip alone and just shut my eyes in a dark, quiet room. I would imagine an image, like a bicycle, and it would quickly morph into something else, and onto something else. I'd let this go on for hours. For years after I quit the drug, this would still happen. I was unable to form a visual image in my head without inducing a trip-like state.

These things aren't really bad, but it all comes down to the individual and how they experienced the drug. LSD opens doors and they don't necessarily shut when you quit the drug. As far as treating anxiety, I'd say LSD is worthless. Under perfect circumstances maybe a revelation is realized that cures your anxiety issues. However, I'd say it's just as likely, if not more likely for people on this site, that it will just compound your issues. A bad trip can give you PTSD and really screw you up for life.

·
Banned
2,331 Posts
"A bad trip can give you PTSD and really screw you up for life."

Is that for real? I've never heard that before...
I think my ptsd type symptoms from something that happened to me as a teen, were exacerbated by having a bad trip at the same time. You have to keep in mind that somebody was trying to kill me though and I had been up for a few days. But whenever I've tripped since then around people I'm comfortable with, was in a good mood, had plenty of rest and energy, and knew ahead of time what I would be feeling, it actually helped me to resolve some of those ptsd type issues for a while.

It is scary sometimes though. I usually end up feeling like I'm facing down death. Interestingly enough, [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Psilocybin (magic mushroom active ingredient)[/FONT] was used recently in a research study to help terminally ill cancer patients resolve their issues with dying. Here are the study results: http://www.heffter.org/pages/research.html

And an interesting Wired.com news article that also mentions the institute that conducted the study: http://www.wired.com/medtech/health/news/2004/09/65025

The results were very positive, but the setting was also very controlled and safe.

·
Yes
1,760 Posts
I think a bad trip is certainly capable of causing PTSD, it really just brings right into your mind, with no escape, and forced to deal with all that **** there. I wasn't kidding when I said I was really close to killing myself during a bad trip. LSD already works 12 hours or so, but when you take enough and you're having a bid trip.... time slooooooooooows right down so it feels like it might never end. If you'v ever seen someone else have a bad trip they are always asking for the time, sometimes less than a minute after they last asked!

·
Banned
2,331 Posts
I wasn't kidding when I said I was really close to killing myself during a bad trip.
But you didn't do it. I'm curious if anyone has any hard data on statistically how many people have killed themselves on hallucinogens compared to not on them. I've always had this little theory that they make you too "scrambled" while you're on them to be able to actually do it, but it's just an unproven theory and I don't have much to back it up.

It's kind of weird - when I had my bad trip as a kid and there were a couple of people right in my face talking about how they were gonna kill me, I just froze up and felt like I couldn't run away or fight. I think this might have actually saved my life, and that's why I sometimes draw that parallel with being unable to kill yourself while you're tripping very hard. It sure did burn the experience into my mind though.:|

Also, I was able to finish giving up cigarettes during that fairly recent, extended, bad Topamax trip because I was constantly forgetting to put on a nicotine patch and couldn't even think about my craving to smoke for more then 5 seconds at a time.

·
Yes
1,760 Posts
But you didn't do it. I'm curious if anyone has any hard data on statistically how many people have killed themselves on hallucinogens compared to not on them. I've always had this little theory that they make you too "scrambled" while you're on them to be able to actually do it, but it's just an unproven theory and I don't have much to back it up.
Well I've thought about suicide enough to kind of rule out most methods, make it something that's final rather than be revive and now living with brain damage. A high building to jump off or subway to throw myself into, quick and painless. I'm Canadian so if I had a gun kicking around I probably wouldn't be here today... really.

But the city is effectively 20 minutes away from me, so I'd have to drive downtown to do those things, and I wasn't going to put other people at risk by driving while having a bad trip.

People all have different thresholds for this stuff too, so just because I managed to do it won't mean someone else won't, say, hang themselves, or have a gun available. My grandfather actually hung him and it was actually my father who had to take his body down... at 15 years old.

But I'm a real *****, I don't want to do anything painful, which ODing often very much is, and it can be a long process. Not everybody is as averse to pain as I am though.... calling me a wimp would be understated.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I just read about someone taking fluoxetine daily, who tried mirtazapine 45mg with some shrooms several times. They said it increased effects by double, regardless of dose... Maybe different if you take mirtazapine daily though.

Now I'm thinking the interaction depends on each drug's affinity for 5-HT2A, and dose. LSD and psilocybin/psilocin have high affinity for 5-HT2A. Hmm.

1 - 20 of 163 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.