Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
- !! TLDR !!
I've found my social anxiety is really affecting my life, making it hard for me to work. I am also really skinny and weak even despite trying to eat better, nothing is working.

People don't like my weakness so i can't work with people or lifting things up.
- !! TLDR !!

Howdy, i'm only a young 20 year old male, tall and lanky.

I've had some problems with keeping a job. My first job was a mix between a desk job and electrician work, i kept the job for a year. My being introverted lead me to not make many friendly bonds with people and they thought i was a jerk, so they got me fired.

Second job, i worked at a retail store for 3 years, but basically i was too slow for it and couldn't keep up with the tasks as fast as everyone else, plus i never made any friends.

Third job, i worked at a KFC store for 6 months, but it ended up being very hard for me to deal with customers at a cash register because i get so nervous talking to them, beside me being too weak and fatigued all the time to be a cook.

Basically, manual labor jobs... I get yelled at for being weak and lazy and i run away because people are yelling at me. I can't work with people either, because i am slow and stupid.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
Hmm, you having a hard time gaining weight could be an underlying medical symptom, such as hyperthyroidism, and that can explain the anxiety. You should definitely get your fatigue checked out by a doctor to disregard any medical conditions.

You might also want to think more positively, and I know that might be hard but it might help bring up your low moral exhibited by your post. :) Having a positive mind set itself can bring your energy up, trust me. There is a psychological factor behind energy.

Here are some examples of the defeating patterns you're thinking in. You use words like never, always, generalizing people, and insulting yourself.

nothing is working.
I get yelled at for being weak and lazy and i run away because people are yelling at me. I can't work with people either, because i am slow and stupid.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Don't be so hard on yourself. You are not weak, slow, lazy or stupid. You are only twenty. You have plenty of time to find a job that fits you. It is only good to try out different avenues before making a longterm commitment.

·
Pastry Case
1,065 Posts
It's hard to know whether you are ill in some way or simply using all your energy to grow. It wouldn't do any harm to see your doctor and tell him what's going on. At the very least he may be ale to give you a more suitable diet. Are you getting plenty of sleep? Are you taking too much alcohol/drugs? (Obviously you don't have to answer that here, I'm just asking you to think about it).

The other thing is, don't feel that you are in the wrong or failing somehow just because you are slower than others. Some people are fast, some slow, some in between .... no one group is 'right' or 'best'. What you do need to do though is find a job where you are allowed to work at the speed that is best for you. When people work more slowly they often take more care with what they are doing, are more thoughtful, so caring work with people or animals might suit or something 'arty' or office work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts