Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just found out trazodone is a weak/moderate 5-HT1A antagonist, in addition to some other receptors. This could mean that low doses of trazodone, taken with a drug like the SSRIs or MAOIs, could enhance the positive antidepressant effects quite significantly due to blocking activation of autoreceptors. This has already been proven with pindolol, but apparently it has some other undesirable effects.

Trazodone is apparently about 4 times weaker on 5-HT1A than the 5-HT2 receptors, so based on this and the relationship between D2 antagonists and autoreceptors, I would guess the effective dose for our purposes to be around 15-20mg, which should be quite a bit less sedating than normal doses.

Does anyone have both an SSRI/MAOI and trazodone to try this? I'd recommend taking the SSRI (if that's what you're on) at night, and trazodone during the day. MAOIs should be taken in the day for other reasons.

I'll be ordering trazodone soon...

· Registered
2,404 Posts
Why not use pindolol?

· Registered
2,404 Posts
What about combining both?

· Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh forget it, apparently trazodone is a partial agonist, not an antagonist. Thread over.

Edit: it might just be a weak partial agonist, like pindolol, that's still effective at blocking the SSRI autoreceptor effect. I'm still interested...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.