Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love-shyness

Gilmartin notes that love-shy men are frequently assumed to be homosexual by other people, because of their perceived lack of interest in women. Additionally, he notes that many heterosexual love-shy men are not interested in friendships with other men. This, combined with their lack of success in initiating contact with women, causes feelings of loneliness, alienation, and sometimes depression.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Yup, I found that article a couple weeks ago.

A year ago, every word in that article* would have been 100% accurate for describing me, but I'm making progress at conquering this one :)

-Ryan

* Audience: Note that Wikipedia is somewhat prone to vandalism so if you see something there that makes no sense, that's why. Try again later, or fix it yourself.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I forgot to mention that part. Like I said, another term. I can relate to the part I quoted, though, especially since my closest friendships have been with girls, and I don't seek out male friendships.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Yeah, describes me well, particularly the part about not wanting male friends (i have a couple but they dont interest me much) and wanting daughters rather than sons.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I can relate to that. I wasn't that interested in having friends, period, and the only exception to that would be dating because of my hormones and they way girls were easier to be around and in my experience more confident and interested in getting to know me. We guys tend to be mreo in each other's faces about each other's flaws even if it's just sorta joking and I couldn't handle that at my most anxious points.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
That's me, too - I really want to have more guy friends, though, but don't know how to get them without feeling rejected. It is just the relating part I need real bad.

Welcome to the board, Damian! :)

·
Registered
217 Posts
What about love-shy women?? :lol :popcorn Guys always think I'm not interested in them for the same reason, and over the years I've noticed for some reason the guys I meet always end up being my friend but never my boyfriend. :stu :con

1 - 8 of 8 Posts