Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a fear of loud noises. It's really weird. I know that noise can't hurt you. However, I still have the fear. But I am getting better. Yesterday I went to my school's Halloween dance. I actually had a lot of fun! But it was LOUD! I mean like my heart was POUNDING to the bass. But I did it! yay! :D lol Anyway, if you are like me and have a fear of loud noises, PLEASE comment here! I don't know if I'm the only one!

Ex: If i am at a school assembly, the movies, concerts, ect. I will get really nervous and or have an anxiety attack.

P.S. Oh, and I think it is called ligyrophobia

·
SAS Member
13,226 Posts
noise CAN hurt you. it causes stress (which causes other health problems) and hearing loss. i go insane when i hear some huge, ugly truck motor or exhaust. i wish they'd fine those people with giant motors & loud exhausts in their GM, FORD, DODGE, etc. it's noise pollution.

·
Trapped
322 Posts
I wouldn't say I really _fear_ loud noises but I definitely dislike them, I cannot think straight when there's a lot of noise.

·
Registered
324 Posts
It's not weird at all. Fear of loud noise is completely natural. We only learn to deal with it in certain situations. And some people are more sensitive than others.

For example, I can hang out in a club with awfully amplified "music" because I'm used to the scene. But I still hate putting dishes away because of the nasty ceramic clatter. It hurts and disturbs me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I never used to fear loud noises until I realized that I had mild hearing loss because of past exposure. I just hate the idea of slowly losing my hearing over the years, and developing tinnitus etc...

·
Currently Broken
1,231 Posts
Yeah I don't think mine is necessarily a fear, but I really don't like them. I also have some hearing loss from a car wreak when I was a baby, so I don't know if it is related. I remember when I was a kid a doctor telling me to stay away from loud noises, so I don't know if that is why or if it is just because I am a HSP. Or both, I dunno.

Tonight I was at my boyfriend's and he wanted to watch the opening scene to Saving Private Ryan because it "sounds so awesome and is so loud" on his surround sound system. He had watched the whole thing last night but had to watch that part again tonight to show me. I was actually surprised that I was more bothered by the visual stuff part of that scene than the audio. Even though, I think it really was both. I do love that movie, it is just hard to watch, especially that scene

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
I never used to fear loud noises until I realized that I had mild hearing loss because of past exposure. I just hate the idea of slowly losing my hearing over the years, and developing tinnitus etc...
I take hearing protection very seriously, wearing the heaviest duty ear muffs over ear plugs when shooting.

I've read that some shooters even flinch in anticipation of the bang, rather than the recoil they know is coming.

While shooting last week, they brought in a shooter in a wheel chair. He was with another guy -- a friend or instructor I guess. At first they picked the lane right next to mine. They soon moved down a couple lanes as if they didn't enjoy the sound of my .357 up close and personal.

·
In my shiny bubble
2,428 Posts
Yeah I get abit anxious around loud noises. If I hear a loud noise I will sometimes jump at it and my heart starts pounding.

·
Banned
368 Posts
I HATE loud noise. It hurts and stresses me out. Music, machine noise, people talking super loud. Drives me nuts. I like peace and quiet.

I really think that is a part of why I am slipping lately. I had to move in with a family member and it is so loud and chaotic in this house. There is never any peace. During the day it is constant talking, loud TVs, Phones ringing, banging of doors, dishwashers, washing machines, lawn mowers, leaf blowers...always something. I took to staying up all night to get some quiet and trying to sleep during the day but can't usually and it screws up my body's rhythms.

One poster above talked about shooting...I went to an indoor range a while back and had to leave. Even with earplugs and earmuffs it's like the sound and pressure penetrated my skull and hurt. I have had to give up this hobby because suppressors are so demonized in the US unlike Europe where they are seen as hearing protection. Thought about going to pellet guns so I can still engage in the "zen" of shooting but without the boom. But I really don't have access to any space to do that.

I always carry earplugs in public for those places I can't stand it and have gotten made fun of often. Stuff like the screeching of a subway or a train, the super loud speakers of some PAs etc kill me. My ears ring all the time too which makes it worse.

Anyway you are not alone.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
One poster above talked about shooting...I went to an indoor range a while back and had to leave. Even with earplugs and earmuffs it's like the sound and pressure penetrated my skull and hurt. I have had to give up this hobby because suppressors are so demonized in the US unlike Europe where they are seen as hearing protection.
I don't know much about suppressors, except they don't work on revolvers as much of the noise (along with lots of hot gasses and filth) is blasted out from the cylinder gap, not just the muzzle. I know that shots exceeding the sound barrier (which is anything over about 1,000 ft/sec) are louder as they make their own little sonic boom. I gather this is why they specifically make heavier (and thus slower) 147 grain subsonic 9mm bullets and such.

I know a .357 is a lot louder than a .38. A .357 Mag throws the same bullet as a .38, just considerably faster. The loudest gun I've yet fired is a .44 Mag. That's a bang that will definitely get your attention and make your hand hurt the next day after 100 rounds. I saw one guy bring in a Desert Eagle. The Desert Eagle is famous for being the most powerful semi-auto handgun there is, topping a .44 Magnum by about 50% (there are truly huge revolvers that easily top both of them). That thing actually creates a vibration you can feel through the concrete floor of a range in addition of one hell of a boom.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had phobia to ALL kinds of explosions since the very moment I got conscience of myself, and that phobia has conditioned my life in ways that can only be undertood by persons that suffered from the same problem.
I am a member of a group of ligyrophobics who form an internet community called APARTE in which participate 180 people from different Spanish-speaking countries. In this forum we talk about our experiences, our attemps to be cured, and discuss a project of creating a legal association in Spain.
In order to share experiences, we are very interested in direct contact with people from other parts of the world, affected by this same kind of phobia. I would be very pleased to inform the other members of my community about me being succesfull in this purpose.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts