Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm not really used to that whole introduce yourself thing but I'll try to do it right.

I'm a 27 ( in 4 days) guy from a small village, close to a small city, in Canada!

I have been dealing with anxiety for I don't know how long but I got to know what this word means about 4 years ago.

My biggest concerns are mild panics (feeling the anxiety rise) especially in social situations (getting to meet new people, being one on one in an office or being the center of attention.).
The first time I experienced a panic, occurring during a presentation (round table presentation at the college, it was like 4 months ago. I went like a month and a half without experiencing any panic feelings but it happened a 2nd time and now, I fear a panic which means, I am scared of being scared!
I have been meeting with a therapist (psychologist) for the last 2 years, at least, and we see each other bi-weekly, although more frequently in the first year! I also get to meet some social workers and I live in a supervised apartment with a case manager coming in once in a while, despite not being much of a case.

I have been isolating a lot in my last years of pot smoking, after nearly 10 years of daily smoking. Now. I can only tolerate hashish but it causes me other problems is I try to abstain from it all.
I overcame a lot in the last couple of years.

My diagnosis is Anxiety/Social anxiety/a bit of depression/OCD/avoidant personality

After spending all of 2012 not working, trying to get my life back on track after about 7/8 years of working 45 hours a week of shift work in a sawmill and it not being my field at all, I have quit, worked on myself, went on an employability program in 2013 and now I have been in college, in the social field (Intervening in the social field - Human services (real English name)

By the way, my first language is French!

I'm out of time but I wanted to write a bit here!

Hope to share stuff with some of you later on!

Fixxer

·
Merry whatever
2,136 Posts
Hey Fixxer!
Welcome to SAS. I know what you mean with the presentations. No matter how much I prepare, I still feel anxious, and I usually end up messing it.
Hope your therapist and social worker are helping you get your life back on track. :)
:wel

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Hi,

I'm not really used to that whole introduce yourself thing but I'll try to do it right.

I'm a 27 ( in 4 days) guy from a small village, close to a small city, in Canada!

I have been dealing with anxiety for I don't know how long but I got to know what this word means about 4 years ago.

My biggest concerns are mild panics (feeling the anxiety rise) especially in social situations (getting to meet new people, being one on one in an office or being the center of attention.).
The first time I experienced a panic, occurring during a presentation (round table presentation at the college, it was like 4 months ago. I went like a month and a half without experiencing any panic feelings but it happened a 2nd time and now, I fear a panic which means, I am scared of being scared!
I have been meeting with a therapist (psychologist) for the last 2 years, at least, and we see each other bi-weekly, although more frequently in the first year! I also get to meet some social workers and I live in a supervised apartment with a case manager coming in once in a while, despite not being much of a case.

I have been isolating a lot in my last years of pot smoking, after nearly 10 years of daily smoking. Now. I can only tolerate hashish but it causes me other problems is I try to abstain from it all.
I overcame a lot in the last couple of years.

My diagnosis is Anxiety/Social anxiety/a bit of depression/OCD/avoidant personality

After spending all of 2012 not working, trying to get my life back on track after about 7/8 years of working 45 hours a week of shift work in a sawmill and it not being my field at all, I have quit, worked on myself, went on an employability program in 2013 and now I have been in college, in the social field (Intervening in the social field - Human services (real English name)

By the way, my first language is French!

I'm out of time but I wanted to write a bit here!

Hope to share stuff with some of you later on!

Fixxer
Welcome, Fixxer! :)

.....and HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :yay :hb :clap :yay :hb

·
Banned
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all of you for the "welcome to the forum" and for the happy birthday wishes! :)

@Awkto Awktavious : The social worker and therapist are helpful but I the psychologist to be kind of blaming, especially since she give me lots to read and I do not read a lot and can't seem to find the time or to be in the right mindset to actually sit down and read the stuff. She also is kind of pushy when she asks me if I can read all of this until the next appointment. I had 2 times where she was blaming and I felt really bad, like guilty BUT I was feeling bad even without all of this so I was not in a shape to argue and stand up for myself! As for the social workers, it goes good and some knows a LOT about me and some knows a bit less but it's all good!

I had a very weird relationship with a lady social worker 3 years younger than me. Our 3 sessions together went very good. I even thought she might have been into me, she kept on looking at my arm and chest level and she seemed as shy or shyer then me. I saw her eyes right opened, smile and wave saying "Hi" when she saw me in the waiting room for a different appointment but when she was with her boyfriend at the fair/circus, wearing sunglasses, she completely IGNORED me...
Anyway, that's about it with my luck with girls... but I understand she can't date me (because of her job)etc. and she has a boyfriend but how can you go from being very happy to see someone to completely ignoring him... ah well.

·
Fairy-Type Trainer
37 Posts
Hello Fixxer, welcome! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts