Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Out there...
5,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like I'm on a losing streak lately. Socially, I might add. It seems that ever since the past few weeks, I always wind up coming short. It's so much worse to handle and cope with after before that (early in the year), where I thought things were really going to take off. Almost like I was heading in the direction of a breakthrough.

I'm directing this moreso to people who can at least somewhat do well in social matters. Because, there are certainly times where I'll do pretty well socially and I'll start to think that I actually do pretty well. The problem is I can't maintain it. And the comedown is hard for me to handle in many ways.

So I ask, who here goes through this type of thing? Afterwards, what do you do? What do you think? How do you feel? Advice? Thoughts?

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
This happens to me too. After a few consecutive weekends of going out you find yourself alone on a Friday night. Or you have a social interaction where you regress to your old SA self.

I think that's the nature of all progress. Two steps forward one step back. But in the long run you're moving forward. Don't let the setback discourage you.

My problem (in my nerdy way of thinking) is that I need a critical mass of friends to have a stable social life. For example, if you have 12 social friends then it's likely you'll be invited to a birthday celebration on average once a month. And if each of them want to hang out with you once a month you'll have someone to hang out with 3 times a week which is a good number.

I only have 3 friends. In the last 15 years I have made 1 new friend and that's my ex-gf. I'm not even sure if she counts as a friend.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah that sounds a lot like me. I do have many friends but I am separated from them, do not live in the same dorm. Socializing is always better but there has been several occasions where I am just completely unmotivated to leave my room.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts