Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been worrying a lot lately about how much hair I am losing. Its a ridiculous amount, much more than ever before. But I am too nervous to talk to anyone about it, including the doctor or friends.

I've been taking effexor (225mg), nortriptyline (50mg, just cut back to 25), and Klonopin (5mg) as needed at night. Could this be causing my hair to come out?

Another reason could be that I have sort of stopped brushing my hair. For no reason other than it takes too much effort. (there's some depression involved too, besides the anxiety) I wash it about once a week and tons of hair comes out.

Any ideas?
Valerie

·
Registered
38 Posts
Although I can't remember names, I've read about hair loss as a side-effect of some medications used for treating anxiety. That's most likely the reason behind your problem. Although it will be difficult for you, your best bet is to tell your doctor about your concerns. Best of luck!

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
it could be stress related

·
Banned
76 Posts
it also could be normal moulting, the hair comes out in handfulls but new hair grows soon

this moulting supports a big hair treatment industry

·
Banned
2,689 Posts
So I've been worrying a lot lately about how much hair I am losing. Its a ridiculous amount, much more than ever before. But I am too nervous to talk to anyone about it, including the doctor or friends.

I've been taking effexor (225mg), nortriptyline (50mg, just cut back to 25), and Klonopin (5mg) as needed at night. Could this be causing my hair to come out?

Another reason could be that I have sort of stopped brushing my hair. For no reason other than it takes too much effort. (there's some depression involved too, besides the anxiety) I wash it about once a week and tons of hair comes out.

Any ideas?
Valerie
Assuming you are female I will say that male and female baldness are supposed to be very different. Anyway, minoxidil works very well for me, I would be a ping pong ball without it instead I just have a really big forehead, sort of a fivehead. It works the same for men and women.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts