Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so today somebody flat out told me in Spanish class that I look - --

16 or 17???

At first she asked me if I was still in high school, I said no which was enough of a suprise. Then she asked me how old I was and she couldn't believe it. Said I look like I could STILL be in high school. And to top it off I believe she was younger than me, maybe 18 or 19.

I was almost offended, you don't tell a 20 something year old adult that he looks like a 16 or 17 year old teenager(no offense to those in HS). How am I supposed to get a job after college when I still look like a teen? Or for that matter how am I supposed to go through life trying to overcome SA while at the same time attempting to get people to take me seriously due to my ****ing babyface???

I had an Idea before that I may look young for my age, but nobody ever flat out told me. I mean I can grow facial hair. I'm short (5'8") but I'm fairly stocky. Can't figure out why I look so much younger.

But 16 or 17??? Come on. I don't even look like a legal adult, apparantly.

Must be why women my own age never take me serously. I'm not ugly. But I guess I'm just boyishly cute or some ****. And I can't date a 16 or 17 year old or else Chris Hansen will show up.

I know many here look young for their age. Let me ask those, how do you cope through everyday life, meeting new people? Has it hindered you from overcoming SA? In what ways would one make themselves look older (particularly males)?

I was beginning to make steps in overcoming SA and I was very optomistic. Now this happens. Feels like such a low blow to my self esteem.

I feel like a failed man. :doh

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
Some people still think I look 18 or 19, lol. I guess the way I dress has a lot to do with it. If they took a close look, they would see that my face looks my age. I wouldn't sweat it too much. I see a lot of people that are around your age and I mistake them for a teen. Of course I also mistake some teens for being older.

·
Registered
70 Posts
well on a positive note at least when you actually do get old youll look younger then your age. not a bad thing. id rather look younger neways :). i think i look my age when i dont have makeup on ive had people tell me i look like im 16. A few weeks ago i was at the bar and some guy thought i was 18 im actually 23. i thought that was cool i never want to get old. enjoy it well you can cause someday you'll wake up and be like " this sucks i wish i looked younge again" :)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
When I was 17, a teacher tried to usher me into the line of 12 year olds waiting outside her classroom and she wouldn't believe I was older until the other kids from my year got involved. Yes, thanks for embarrassing me in front of an audience. :roll I think I might even have had the makings of a moustache at that time, but it didn't help.

·
The Tragic Princess
719 Posts
Haha...I get IDed for everything. When I was in 9th grade this guy told me I looked like I should be in 3rd!!!!! When I buy mature rated video games, ID please! One time I was buying some pencils and poster board at Wal-mart cus I'm an artist and the cashier asked me if I were ready for school to start back and what grade I was in....I had graduated college 2 years before. I hate it, but also I have tattoos on my arms and you have to be 18 to get tattoos here. I don't think there's much you can do about it, but I don't think it has anything to do with getting taken seriously. Once you let them know your actual age, they should get it.

·
o_O
6,024 Posts
Well I'm 18 and people say I can pass for 13 so, yep. It sucks but there's nothing you can do. Sometimes it's not so bad.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I wish I looked younger. A lot of people say I look serious or a lot older for my age. Someone thought I 28 or something when I am only 20. I guess it has a lot to do with how you dress. I can dress mature for my age. When I am in simple clothes people think I look 15.

Just dress in very structured clothing. No hoodies, no skinny jeans and you'll probably be mistaken for a 30 year old. Your clothing can make all the difference.

·
4 + 1 = MOO
1,410 Posts
At The Movies...

Me - Hi, one for 'Bruno' please?
***** Behind The Window - Can I see your ID?

In Church...

Person I don't want to talk to - Good morning!
Me - Morning...
Person I don't want to talk to - How's school?

Picking Up Lottery Tickets for My Parents...

Me - Hi, 3 Mega-Million tickets please.
Woman Behind Counter - Are you over 18?
Me - Yes...
Woman Behind Counter - Let me see your ID.

I'M TWENTY ****ING ONE!

·
4 + 1 = MOO
1,410 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Last year I went to the movies to see The Dark Knight. The ticket lady said "Are you sure your 13?" I was like WTF? That pissed me off so much. I was 17 at the time.

·
socially disabled
276 Posts
yea people never believe me when I tell them im going to be 24, I still get carded for ciggs! older chicks stay away too :-/ i keep a gotee grown in cuz when i shave it all off i look 13 lol plus im only 5'4 125lbs.. as far as affecting my SA i somtimes get anxiety when im in the liquor section getting vodka and beer. i just feel like people are watching me and think im tryin to steal it or ima try a fake id ..

·
Banned
40 Posts
I don't think looking young is a curse.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't think looking young is a curse.
When you're in your 20's it is. No grown adult in their 20's about to graduate college wants to look like a high school kid, trust me.

I'm sure I'll like it when I'm in my 30's and beyond. My brother is 33 and looks 27, which is awesome. But he hated it when he was my age.

·
Somewhere but not here.
1,802 Posts
I have no idea if I do.
Though it has been suggested that I grow a beard, so I don't look like a kid (said jokingly), and my mom's family apparently doesn't age.
...But I'm good at guessing people's age, so I really can't tell myself. Comes from a family that seemingly doesn't age (my mom has been mistaken for my sister, and she is double my age, my grandma looks my mom's age), so I usually add a few years to any estimate.
seems like it would be annoying. (I'm not usually in situations where my age would be a factor).
Doesn't stress add years?

·
taking a break from SAS
1,408 Posts
I look pretty young too, when I graduated college someone thought I was graduating high school. Wearing glasses helps looking older and more mature though. Maybe this is something you could try.

·
Registered
344 Posts
If you will look young for your age at my age, 46, or older, it is a blessing. Just hope you continue to look young for your age.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts