Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There really isn't much of a bright side of social anxiety, but nonetheless, I've been thinking about this lately. I think a lot of us are actually really good at stepping out of our comfort zone. Think about it. The world is sort of out of our comfort zone. It seems really unfair sometimes because it means we end up confronting fears that we don't feel ready to face a lot, but I find that the idea of leaving my comfort zone in itself doesn't scare me the way it scares other people who aren't so used to the anxiety it brings. Anyone else see that? When those people finally end up facing a fear, sometimes I look at them and understand, yet still wonder what the huge deal is for a split second. Like "yeah, you don't want to, but so what? At least you get a choice. I don't. I live in a world where crossing the street to get the mail is terrifying because of the slim possibility that I may run into the neighbors and have to talk."

It's weird because a lot of times I sort of envy people who I consider socially proficient or whatever. But when (not if) we recover and get past this anxiety, we are going to kick ***. Because we, unlike many other people will know how to push ourselves and improve and confront our fears. This is something that a lot of other people never learn, and as a result, end up living rather stagnant lives when it comes to bettering themselves.

Anyone else feel that way sometimes? Can you tell I've been trying to be an optimist for awhile now? Maybe I'm just fooling myself. I don't know.

·
Author
242 Posts
I agree with everything you're saying. there is hope for us with SA, when (not if :) ) we recover from this, we can overcome anything. We know what it's like to go out there and do what we need to do while dealing with the anxiety that to some of us is debilitating. Every day is a challenge.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts