Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know if many, if any of you posting tot his thread know me, "helpless," but I suppose this is the right forum to discuss "looking for a job."

I put that in quotations, because I have heard that saying so many times, I'm kind of tired of it.

So far, my only successful thread here has been, "Took A Shower Today," which you may or may not have noticed.

Now that I bathe regularly, that is no problem to me in "looking for a job," although there could still be many issues related to my personal appearance, which might need to be addressed.

I am employed, just underpaid, so what I'm looking for is a better paying part time job, or a full time job.

I have not looked for a job in 10 years, my last attempt, in 2001, being successful, because I kept "getting back to" the employer, and he knew I was a serious job seeker.

Just about gave up, but about 3 months after applying, he called me on the phone, asking me if I still wanted the job, I said yes, and had a good working relationship with my employer.

That job eventually ended, and since then, I haven't gotten any more work to supplement my inadquately paying other part time job, which I had years before 2001, and still have today.

The idea of looking for a job, is terrifying to me.

·
Permanently Baned
2,594 Posts
Congrats on bathing regularly. I did notice that thread. Both acts (including job seeking) are ones of disclipline but self preservation :).

Tired advice = Many give the same advice, but use contract/temp firms because those aggressive SOBs helped me get my foot into company doors.

Other advice = Maintain a portfolio of past work and show it on a handy device like tablet. Useful for demoes in art, porgramming, engineering, or some creative endeavor where a little bit of fliar will help get you in.

Don't know what other appearance issues you have, but hopefully they aren't glaring. Whether we like it or not, they (jobs and women and men) do discriminate us based on looks and presentation supposedly with "EOE guidelines".

Other than that looking for work sucks like taking 1000 showers.

·
Banned
9,928 Posts
I would like to help you. But I have always had the same problem in finding jobs. I was never able to do that persistance strategy that you used.

I think it helps if you seem very active. Can you do a couple of volunter jobs? Hospitals often look for people to help out a few hours a week. Food shelves need people too. That will look good on the resume and job applications.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts