Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am new to this forum. I stumbled accross it when I was searching on the internet for "Binge Drinking" and I automatically thought that this forum could provide me with the support and positive thinking that I need right now. Drinking is a problem for me in my life right now and has been for roughly 14 years. I think I recently started to accept that it is a problem since I had my two childeren. Once I have a drink I can not stop myself from having too many drinks to the point where I am totally intoxicated.

I have tried a few different things to try and resolve it such as going to counselling and attending AA meetings. For some reason after time my mind tricks me into thinking I do not have a problem and I end up drinking again. I always get the same result.

I would not say that I drink regularily but when I do I go out with a bang so to speak. Sometimes I will drink to the point of blacking out. I always wake up the next day with enormous guilt and shame. Even if I was not too bad I still always feel awful. Lately I have noticed that I will feel depressed for two to three days afterword.

I have an awesome wife and two beautiful children that I love with all of my heart. I really want to be the best father and husband that I can be. I feel that my binge drinking is holding me back in life. Is there hope for me to change the cycle that I am on?

I look forward to hearing from you.

·
SAS Member
1,667 Posts
its great that you have identified something you want to work on about yourself. This forum isn't specifically for binge drinking, although it can be one of the responses that people have to try to cope with anxiety, which this forum focusses on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello,

I do have an anxiety discorder as well that I take medication for. I was diagnosed with a general anxiety disorder. My binge drinking is a direct result of the anxiety. When in social settings I drink to make myself comfortable. I am not sure what comes first really. The anxiety and then the binge drinking or the binge drinking and then the anxiety.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey Morgan19 welcome. :hyper

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, Morgan19! :)

·
SAS Member
1,667 Posts
well in that case this site may be of help