Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't kept up with metal music much over the years, I have some but not much. I've been on youtube looking up some stuff but would like suggestions of bands to check out. I'd like to be able to tell you what sub genres I like and don't like but there are so many I couldn't say lol.

Here's a list of some of the bands I found that I like so far:

Sirenia
Delain
Elis
Nightwing
Pain
Within Temptation

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts
I used to hear those bands all the time when I had a brief flirtation with Gotham Radio. It looks like they've changed it around and I can't even find the radio link anymore. But you can try there and see what you see.

·
Banned
2,768 Posts
Not sure what you already know, but heres a short list of my favorites.

at the gates
gojira
the haunted
lamb of god
in flames

doubt it, but meshuggah. theyre kind of an acquired taste. I can only take so many of their songs at a time with the weird timings

·
Day Of The Dead
945 Posts
For heavier, death/screaming style -

Lamb Of God, Neaera, Dethklok

Metalcore -

As I Lay Dying
All That Remains

Alternative Metal -

Breaking Benjamin
Chevelle

Also, if you're into classic heavy metal, Motley Crue, Metallica, and AC/DC all released new albums last year.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestions I listened to all of them on youtube. There was a lot of great stuff but I've found that I don't like singers who just scream or you can't understand what the heck they are saying, I guess that's why most of the groups I've found that I like have female lead singers.

I also found out through wiki that I seem to like symphonic metal, never knew that before lol. I'm still new to all these subgenres though, keep the suggestions coming if you have any more thanks!

·
Banned
2,768 Posts
i always find it tough to find songs I like after being told about a band. I even really dont like bands till after multiple listens. here's some of the better songs from the bands i mentioned

ill just give the links instead of inbedding. never works for me for some reason

mostly all screaming, but I dont listen to too many clean vocal metal bands. havent run into too many metal bands with very compelling lyrics (gojira has some good ones), so I just view the vocals as another distorted instrument. I listen to most of these bands because of the drums and guitars

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions I listened to all of them on youtube. There was a lot of great stuff but I've found that I don't like singers who just scream or you can't understand what the heck they are saying, I guess that's why most of the groups I've found that I like have female lead singers.

I also found out through wiki that I seem to like symphonic metal, never knew that before lol. I'm still new to all these subgenres though, keep the suggestions coming if you have any more thanks!
You are from the same generation as I am and I totally know what you mean about sub genres and the screaming. I really dont like the "cookie monster" style vocals. They had that back in the 80s and I didnt like then either. I spent my teenage/early adult years listening to Metallica (when they were good), Megadeth, Slayer, Exodus etc. I got more into the alternative thing in the 90s with Alice in Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, Soundgarden etc. I have to admit I am not up on current metal at all. I will have to check these links out later.

·
giggling ******
11,070 Posts
Baroness
Cave In
Dead Child

are a few with different styles, but cleaner vocals.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
...I've found that I don't like singers who just scream or you can't understand what the heck they are saying...
Same here. There are far too many lead "singers" who should not have that title. I like vocalists who sing clearly so you can actually understand what they're saying and then it also helps if what they're singing actually makes sense. Given how many seem to scream incoherently like a deranged mental patient I gather a lot of people don't think vocals are nearly as important as I do.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Nightwish - there like within tempation
Rammstein - just rad metal/industrial
Helltrain- Death
Amon Amarth- Death
Gwar-all their albums are a differnt genre, most people hate em but they grow on you

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gwar-all their albums are a differnt genre, most people hate em but they grow on you
Ya they'd take a bit of getting use to but their videos and costumes are pretty cool.

·
Banned
850 Posts
I gather a lot of people don't think vocals are nearly as important as I do.
so says the guy who likes iron maiden. id rather listen to a death metal growl then bruce dickensons high pitched screams/whines any day.

·
Banned
3 Posts
*sigh* why does it seem like all that people care about are the vocals....Listen to the music for the music (THATS WHY ITS CALLED MUSIC!!) dont get me wrong, vocals sound cool with music or whatever but dont let one thing ruin the whole band for you.

·
Nowhere Man
2,415 Posts
I'd recommend Tool. I don't really listen to metal but I heavily suggest that you check out Aenima (The album) by Tool. :)

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
*sigh* why does it seem like all that people care about are the vocals....Listen to the music for the music (THATS WHY ITS CALLED MUSIC!!) dont get me wrong, vocals sound cool with music or whatever but dont let one thing ruin the whole band for you.
For me the vocals are as important as the rest of the band, I can love the band but if I don't like what's coming out of the singers mouth I'm not going to be able to listen to them. I don't mind some of the grunts, growls and stuff in the background but I don't really care for them taking the lead. The problem for me is that when they take the lead most of them are so loud they practically drown out the rest of the band to the point that it's all I can concentrate on, kind of screws everything up. Oh well, we all like what we like.

BTW, Welcome to :sas

I'd recommend Tool. I don't really listen to metal but I heavily suggest that you check out Aenima (The album) by Tool. :)
Nice recommendation I love Tool and have several of their cd's, including Aenima. :)

·
going hazy
8,724 Posts
I love Ensiferum... they use harsh vocals but they're easy to understand and the band is amazing. This video is cheesy as hell, though. :lol

1 - 20 of 43 Posts