Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
HeavyDirtySøul
5,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having issues sleeping and just dealing with paranoia recently. It comes to me worrying and obsessing over my mental and physical health. Recently I've been constantly worrying over becoming schizophrenic. It runs in my family and I work myself up worrying that I'm hearing things. I've had issues with losing some of my hearing and sometimes I feel like I hear things that aren't there. Like my fan will sound like music or I'll hear bumps in the night and worry I imagined them and I must be going crazy.

Just stuff like that. I'll keep myself up all night worrying that I'm going to hear things that aren't there. I think I only got 3 hours of sleep last night and I woke up because I heard what sounded like an owl and I couldn't go back to sleep because I was worried about it not being real. I recorded the sound though and it shows up in the recording so I'm certain it's real. Although I know not everything I hear is real.. because I'll real rhythms and musical sounds when they're not there.

I just don't know what to do.. I worry myself to death and it can be agonizing. I bought some melatonin and I'm hoping that will help but I still feel like I'm going to worry about it anyways.

·
littleghost
1,928 Posts
Have you gone to a psychiatrist? They might help you with the anxiety and lack of sleep, but they also may be able to tell you if you're becoming schizophrenic. They might be able to reassure you if you don't have other symptoms.

Don't worry about every little sound you hear. If you start having auditory hallucinations, they'll be more distinct than that. We all have noises in the house and the surroundings all the time. if you hear distinct voices saying things, or music that's driving you crazy and you can't make it stop, that's the time to start worrying.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
I've had the same issues in the past, i totally can relate to your post. I was always asking my parents if i wasn't schizophrenic or was thinking they hide it to me... and some other stuff like you. Mind****ing to the max lol.
At the end this was just my anxiety being high as fuc. Wasn't on any treatment at the time, i'm on Paxil now, things are better.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
A doctor can give you melatonin that affects for a longer period of time, and bigger dosage (I think? At least that's how it works here)

Or proper sleeping pills.

Things you can do to get sleep better:
Physical exhaustion (working, working out)
Relaxed feeling (sauna)
Dark enough, silent enough.
A fitting temperature (a bit cold)
Fresh air, but not right before going to bed. (same with sauna/exercise)

You could also try breathing exercises and some sort of meditation.

But if you are worried about schizophrenia, you should talk to a doctor about it. (Also remember that even if you are, it's not necessarily the end of the world... It's not like you are just suddenly going to become a madman because of a diagnosis, but you will be the same with the support you need for it...)

·
SUS Member
10,501 Posts
I have auditory hallucinations on occasion, though I don't hear voices. Schizophrenia also runs in my family, and I've had experiences that I suspect are schizophrenic episodes. But, oddly, I don't think too much about it. It's just one more thing I've always had to deal with.

My hallucinations are typically about things that I fear. For example, I've been worried about my cat's health, so when I heard her puking right behind me the other day, I immediately jumped up to move her off the bed (within a second of hearing the sound, which is very distinctive), but she was sound asleep.

Not long ago, I heard my brother tapping on my bedroom door (he has a very distinctive way of tapping his fingernails, and it always makes me anxious when he comes to my door because I have issues with him) so I jumped up to answer it, but there was no one there.

These sounds were unmistakable and I identified them immediately and responded immediately by jumping up to deal with them. They weren't ambiguous sounds that I wasn't sure about, but actual easy-to-identify sounds that I'm used to hearing (but that I dread to hear). I have no doubt they were 'put together' from ambiguous sounds by my brain, but the end result was a clear hallucination.

I often hear bees inside the house (I actually enlisted the aid of my ex-gf in an attempt to hunt them down one time, but we didn't find anything and she couldn't hear them at all). Bees are something else I'm afraid of. I also often smell things burning and go through my whole house top to bottom to find the source of the odor. (Which I can never find.) I see bugs crawling across walls, floors, counters, etc., more or less constantly (probably about once a day on average), but they disappear when I look at them. (I have a bug/spider phobia.)

Things like the above have always happened to me. (I've had worse, but I won't share them.) So that's my own experience, something you can compare your own to. Like the others have said, if you're worried about it, talk to someone. I would, but it's not terribly disruptive in my own case (I'm used to it) and I can't afford medication in any case.

·
HeavyDirtySøul
5,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've had the same issues in the past, i totally can relate to your post. I was always asking my parents if i wasn't schizophrenic or was thinking they hide it to me... and some other stuff like you. Mind****ing to the max lol.
At the end this was just my anxiety being high as fuc. Wasn't on any treatment at the time, i'm on Paxil now, things are better.
Yeah it's awful.. it's so easy for anxiety to turn you into your own worst enemy.

I have auditory hallucinations on occasion, though I don't hear voices. Schizophrenia also runs in my family, and I've had experiences that I suspect are schizophrenic episodes. But, oddly, I don't think too much about it. It's just one more thing I've always had to deal with.

My hallucinations are typically about things that I fear. For example, I've been worried about my cat's health, so when I heard her puking right behind me the other day, I immediately jumped up to move her off the bed (within a second of hearing the sound, which is very distinctive), but she was sound asleep.

Not long ago, I heard my brother tapping on my bedroom door (he has a very distinctive way of tapping his fingernails, and it always makes me anxious when he comes to my door because I have issues with him) so I jumped up to answer it, but there was no one there.

These sounds were unmistakable and I identified them immediately and responded immediately by jumping up to deal with them. They weren't ambiguous sounds that I wasn't sure about, but actual easy-to-identify sounds that I'm used to hearing (but that I dread to hear). I have no doubt they were 'put together' from ambiguous sounds by my brain, but the end result was a clear hallucination.

I often hear bees inside the house (I actually enlisted the aid of my ex-gf in an attempt to hunt them down one time, but we didn't find anything and she couldn't hear them at all). Bees are something else I'm afraid of. I also often smell things burning and go through my whole house top to bottom to find the source of the odor. (Which I can never find.) I see bugs crawling across walls, floors, counters, etc., more or less constantly (probably about once a day on average), but they disappear when I look at them. (I have a bug/spider phobia.)

Things like the above have always happened to me. (I've had worse, but I won't share them.) So that's my own experience, something you can compare your own to. Like the others have said, if you're worried about it, talk to someone. I would, but it's not terribly disruptive in my own case (I'm used to it) and I can't afford medication in any case.
Thanks for sharing this.. it does make me feel a bit better. Just because I feel like I've had similar experiences although not exactly the same.

I'm writing this right now at 2:20 am and I have to wake up at 7 for work. I can't sleep again because my mind won't stop stressing me out and worrying about it. I wish I could shut it up... it's so difficult to live with anxiety and panic. I'm really thinking about taking more Xanax but I don't have much left and no refills. Plus I've already taken some a day ago.. ugh it's just the only thing that stops the torment. I can't even watch YouTube and focus on that to relax... nothing is distracting me enough. My brain just wants to melt down and worry. I swear I'm going to go crazy.. I'm going to live under a damn bridge alone or off myself one day. I feel like I'm crazy compared to most people. Seriously crazy.

·
SUS Member
10,501 Posts
Tbh, at this point @KelsKels I think it's much more likely that you have Schiz OCD. High anxiety (which I have) leads to hypervigilance. Hypervigilance can lead to an increase in sensory hallucinations (ie. confusing ambiguous sounds with real sounds, or ambiguous visual objects with real objects, like the ones I described) because your brain is actively searching for danger in your environment and 'assuming the worst'.

If you have OCD on top of anxiety, you will use all of these experiences as 'proof' that you're 'crazy'. But schizophrenics don't generally know that they're hallucinating. My aunt, who is schizophrenic, doesn't fear that the government is listening to her thoughts and giving her instructions through her appliances; she knows that they're doing it. She isn't worrying about whether or not she's crazy; she talks about these sorts of things the way other people talk about work, and refuses to see a psychiatrist.

If you're worried that you're developing schizophrenia, it means your brain is looking for proof that you have schizophrenia. A schizophrenic isn't worried that they're developing schizophrenia, they're worried about how they can stop other people from reading their minds or giving them mental instructions. Compare that to Homosexual OCD, where a person is worried that they're gay and microanalyzes all of their feelings about other people searching for proof that they are; whereas someone who is legitimately attracted to people of the same sex doesn't fear the attraction, though they might fear what people will think of them for having the attraction.

·
HeavyDirtySøul
5,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tbh, at this point @KelsKels I think it's much more likely that you have Schiz OCD. High anxiety (which I have) leads to hypervigilance. Hypervigilance can lead to an increase in sensory hallucinations (ie. confusing ambiguous sounds with real sounds, or ambiguous visual objects with real objects, like the ones I described) because your brain is actively searching for danger in your environment and 'assuming the worst'.

If you have OCD on top of anxiety, you will use all of these experiences as 'proof' that you're 'crazy'. But schizophrenics don't generally know that they're hallucinating. My aunt, who is schizophrenic, doesn't fear that the government is listening to her thoughts and giving her instructions through her appliances; she knows that they're doing it. She isn't worrying about whether or not she's crazy; she talks about these sorts of things the way other people talk about work, and refuses to see a psychiatrist.

If you're worried that you're developing schizophrenia, it means your brain is looking for proof that you have schizophrenia. A schizophrenic isn't worried that they're developing schizophrenia, they're worried about how they can stop other people from reading their minds or giving them mental instructions. Compare that to Homosexual OCD, where a person is worried that they're gay and microanalyzes all of their feelings about other people searching for proof that they are; whereas someone who is legitimately attracted to people of the same sex doesn't fear the attraction, though they might fear what people will think of them for having the attraction.
That sounds exactly like what's going on. If I don't focus on it.. if I'm at work like right now, I don't have any problems. But when I'm alone at night and the fan is on.. I'll start to worry and the fan starts sounding like faint garbled voices or music. Then I'll get that dropping panic feeling and can't sleep. Man idk what to do. I ended up just taking the Xanax last night and fell asleep but now I'm out. Idk what to do.. maybe I'll finally actually seek out another therapist. Thanks for posting and replying though. You're awesome :squeeze

1 - 9 of 9 Posts