Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, just looking for some opinions on the matter :).

I am going to be starting University in January. I need a laptop or netbook that would be good for this. I have looked at various models and I am getting really confused. I need something that is efficient, not to expensive, and that will do all the things I want to do with it.

I need one that can multi-task. I need one that has good battery life. I need one that is quick (not the fastest thing ever though lol). I would also like to know some good brands (I have a toshiba and I love it). So pretty much all I am looking for are opinions/advice? Thanks in adbance to all that post :).

·
Registered
582 Posts
No sure what price range you are looking for but there are a lot of options, Dell, Lenovo and Apple all make great computers as do most other companies. Intel atoms are more energy efficient but they may not be up to a lot of multi tasking, for that i would recommend at least a core2duo with Centrino 2 technology to reduce power consumption.

My recommendation, core2duo processor, at least 2gb of ram with a 7200 rpm hard drive. Video card wise, if you are going to be doing a lot of work with videos, animation, CAD or want to be able to play modern games you would likely want a video card from ati or nvidia. For most other tasks a built in intel graphics chipset should be ok. Battery wise you would have to check manufacturer and review websites to get an idea about estimated life. Many companies offer upgraded batteries that are larger for people who require more power. I'd also recommend going to a local store and playing around with the display models to get an idea of which ones seem solid and feel comfortable to use. I found this website to be invaluable when i was looking for a new laptop. notebookreview.com
Best of luck to you, picking a laptop is no easy task.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Excellent advice from ecotec83 about notebook configuration! I agree with everything he says. In particular, notebookreview.com is a very informative site.

When visiting local stores, you are unlikely to find notebooks made by Lenovo or Asus, which are sold mainly online. Yet these brands are among the best available.

One consideration important to me is whether my notebook has a glossy screen or a matte screen. Glossy screens are most popular today among ordinary users who watch movies and play games. However, for business or schoolwork, I much prefer matte screens because reflected lights (and my own image) disturb me greatly. In the store, notice how the ceiling lights are reflected in a glossy screen.

Matte screens are difficult to find locally, but the business lines of Lenovo and Dell notebooks use matte screens.

I also agree with warcraft's recommendation of a Lenovo T- or X-series notebook. Both my current notebook and the one it replaces are from the T series. Their build quality, especially the keyboard, is superior to that of any other notebook I have ever used.

Lenovo support is also great (I always purchase the three-year warranty). When you call support, there is never a wait. If the computer needs repair, Lenovo will send you a replacement part overnight at their expense. If the part is not user-serviceable, they will repair the computer for you in three days, entirely at their expense. They send you overnight a prepaid shipping carton; make the repair the next day; and send the computer back to you overnight without charge.

Finally, if ordering online from Lenovo or Dell, be sure to use a coupon code. For example, if you perform a Google search today for lenovo canada coupons, you will find that CAPTSERIESDEAL1 saves you 20% at Lenovo Canada on a T-series notebook (through today).

·
Registered
582 Posts
I second carefully checking the screen as Spangles Muldoon mentioned. My Lenovo Sl400 has a semi gloss screen and it does not reflect or have a lot of glare which is good in rooms with institutional florecent lighting. My ex's compact was so glossy that it could hurt my eyes in some cases. The only issue i found with semi gloss screens is that in bright sunlight they are a bit harder to see than glossy ones.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Do not get the Lenovo consumer line (SL/R etc). Get the business line instead (T/X).
I couldn't agree with you more, i'm not 100% happy with the build quality of my Sl400, my palm rest squeaks and it is not reinforced with titanium like the business lines. I just couldn't afford anything better at the time.

·
(.*?)
6,618 Posts
I just got an apire one. Nice relatively big screen, great battery life, and only cost me $300. I hear it's a little slow with Windows until you clean out all the preinstalled gunk. I installed linux instead, and it's plenty quick for me in ubuntu.

·
Optimism Prime~
7,122 Posts
If you know a little about the make-up of a computer, then I would recommend you get a custom built laptop from Dell. They do a laptop line called Vostro's, which you can customise with components that meet your needs. They're not as flashy as the more mainstream Dell laptops, but you can get a very fast and efficent computer for a fraction of the normal cost.
And err, you can even get a bigger discount if you sign-up as a 'business' :b

1 - 10 of 10 Posts