Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever seen themselves in public and been shocked at how different you look to how you imagined?:sus

Its weird, i like to think i know what i look like and it just gets to me when i see myself sometimes its like i'm looking at a complete stranger in comparison to how i usually look :|

Like today i was in a computer class at college working on a mac and we were told to open Photo Booth (which is basically a webcam application) and suddenly my face came up on screen and i looked completely different to how i would have imagined :eek:

Not to brag but I've been told i'm good looking but i looked goddamn awful when my face came up on screen, i couldn't close it quick enough :afr

Maybe i was just surprised (never used Photo Booth before) or maybe the lighting was different but i saw other people using it they looked exactly the same as how they usually appear.....or maybe its something to do with being more comfortable at home and less tense therefore when your taken out of your comfort zone you don't carry yourself as well :no

Its the same with mirrors too some mirrors make me look completely different to others its like which one of them is telling the truth?:um

Any thoughts?

·
merry-seeking
473 Posts
The lower the light level, the better I look :yes

It bums me out that I don't look as good as I feel I do at times. And I've found that my facial expressions don't always match my thoughts/mood (based on catching my reflection or things people have said in response) so I can look pissed off/bored/unhappy even if I'm actually feeling positive. Misunderstandings ensue, lol.

On the upside, people assume I'm at least ten years younger than I actually am and ask for my secret.

·
Registered
153 Posts
This is definitely a big problem for me. The face I see in the mirror and the face I see in a photograph seem like two completely different people.

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
Well it's kind of weird to walk around with a mirror so I don't really get to see myself. Hehe, no, but I know what you mean. Back when I was working out, whenever I would go to the beach and pass cars, I would see my side profile in the mirror and would be surprised, because the light and shadows would make my arm muscles more defined in car windows, so I was like wow I'm buff, haha.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts