Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. As many know exercise can help reduce anxiety levels becuase of the calming that follows it. The feeling up and relaxation can be mediated by the higher activity of endorphines that is caused by a given exercise session. I wonder if anyone knows or have already experienced how regular exercise can affect, on the long term, social anxiety? I mean would baseline social phobia get better independently of how long time has based since the last exercise session, for a regular exerciser?!
Thanx.

·
Registered
249 Posts
zzzuhumuha said:
I mean would baseline social phobia get better independently of how long time has based since the last exercise session, for a regular exerciser?!
Thanx.
Ive gone crosseyed. LOL

I think I get the jist of what you are saying though. I work out regularly and I find that the more consistantly I work out, the less anxious I feel. If I stop exercising for a week or two I am more anxious and get depressed more easily.

I dont think its as cut and dry as comparing length of time between exercises sessions and degree of social phobia. I think its possible for that to play a factor though.

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
The problem I see is that exercise is usually pursued for multiple outcomes, i.e. not just feeling good but also improved health, weight loss, cosmetic improvements, etc.

I've exercised regularly for a long time but I've never seen an improvement from baseline re: anxiety all by itself. Usually my exercise improves my body, and that makes me feel better about myself, so it's more of a cognitive change for me. If that makes sense. Of course I don't treat myself as a single-subject study so I couldn't tell you for sure. It's possible that you get less overall anxiety just from a lowered resting pulse rate, lower cortisol levels, improved circulation, better blood sugar balance, and so on. At any rate, exercise is certainly good for you so there's no reason not to do it!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have wondered (and not really gotten the answer) whether exercise has a short-term effect on your feelings (not taking into consideration the factors mentioned by caedmon) or whether it can have a long-term effect.

My hunch is that the answer is that it only has a short-term effect. My reason is that even non-SA people use exercise to unstress and the ones I know who do it need to do it pretty often and do it particularly when they are feeling stressed. It's not like they just coast by on the exercise they did for the last couple months.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I don't know about long-term effects regarding anxiety specifically but I've noticed that I tend to be in a better mood and generally feel good about myself. Besides my mood, it helps me that I'm feeling a bit stronger and I like being in shape too. :)

With me there's a connection too, since in high school I was in a lot of sports and at the time I felt like sports was the only thing I was good at. Even now, when I'm out running or swimming or doing who knows what, I feel like I am doing something I'm good at so that helps me feel better about myself too. Now I know there's other things that I'm good at too, but the feeling is still there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts