Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I want to ask people here about using medication .

Does it have ''permanent'' side effects ? does it change your personality forever? i mean even if you get off of it.

I have had SA all my life.. but recently i started developing depression. ( i think this is due to my SA was untreated) .

Now i am trying to find out my options.

In your experience.. going back in time... would you have chosen medication or would you have strictly stuck with therapy?

i am currently considering

Wellbutrin for antidepressant ( i have heard it isn't good for anxiety .. but i am lacking energy, concentration and motivation and i have heard wellbutrin helps with those)

&

Something for anxiety?????!! i am pretty confused on this one. I thought BuSpar would help but it has been two weeks with no effect. All people here say Benzo's are not a long term solution. I am considering Atarax .

I know therapy is the more permanent solution. But i feel i need a push with medication . On the other hand .. i am afraid that medication will mess me up permentatly

I really appreciate your input!!:yes

·
Fluctuating
1,353 Posts
Unfortunately its a highly subjective scenario.

I have been on several antidepressants and pain medications; some of which have grealty improved my life by allowing me to function normally. Others have come with side effects or bothersome costs that i was not prepared to put up with.

Amitriptyline was great for my migraines. Took the pain away, and reduced nausea allowing me to return back to work, which i why i stayed on it for ~ a year. I gave it up as my migraines reduced in frequency, in addition to the fact that i was feeling 'foggy' and a bit out of touch with reality. Since stopping it i returned to my 'normal' pre illness stage.

I also used a typical antipsychotic known as Thorazine, which was great at stopping me vomiting, and fantastic as a sleep aid during migraine aura. I never used this constantly, only took it when i was feeling horrible, and after taking maybe 15 dosages in total started to get akathsia and restlessness which lead to me throwing the meds away immediately.

Topamax (an anticonvulsant) was what i used for the second half of the year in combination with the amitriptyline. Oncemore great for the migraines, but that med hit me for six to the point where i'd be forgetting what i wanted to say mid sentense. So it had to go.

However this is where the depression came into things. Maybe it was caused by high dosage Amitriptyline? Im not sure, but it didnt lift when i stopped taking that med.

Lexapro was up next, which i found no change from baseline at all. The only thing it did for me was supress appetite (which isnt a good thing in my case because im already borderline underweight). Moreso, it did nothing to the depression for me. I was on it just under a month

Following this i tried Mirtazapine, which dramatically increased my appetite (a good thing), however its very sedating and i tend to feel slow for most of the day. This lead me to discontinue the med as of 6 days ago cold turkey. Only side effect was sleeplessness for 2 consecutive nights.

I dont feel any long term side effects in my mood, or general persona (im still not totally convinced that the amitriptyline made me worse, its possible that the dep was coming along anyway).

Im now pushing for a more balanced combo which i think will be better tailored to my physiology.

Not sure how usefull all this info is for you as everyone will respond differently. But i'd advise that if you do decide to take medication, remember you have every right to stop taking it if you dont like the direction things are travelling.

And moreso, if you have a side effect, its persistant and generally bothers you? I'd suggest (from my personal experience) to consult you doc and request that you stop it.

I also highly suggest researching a medication before taking it straight from a doctor. That way you know what you are in for and what you can expect should anything go pearshaped.

·
Fluctuating
1,353 Posts
And yes, to answer your question, i would have taken these medications in the same order again, with the exception of Lexapro as it led to a return in my functionality

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I admit, I was unlucky. Zoloft caused me have rolling anxiety. When I was in Zoloft it made me shake when talking to people. Now that I'm off it I fear and feel like I'm still shaking. It really sucks and I wish I never tried Zoloft. But Zoloft did remove my depression.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Yes these medications do cause long-term side effects. If the side effects don't get you in the short run it will get you in the long run. Consider therapy with no medication. Of course diet and exercise along with fish oil and multivitamins.

·
Banned
296 Posts
Following this i tried Mirtazapine, which dramatically increased my appetite (a good thing), however its very sedating and i tend to feel slow for most of the day. This lead me to discontinue the med as of 6 days ago cold turkey. Only side effect was sleeplessness for 2 consecutive nights.
Hi Sense, I'm currently trying Mirtazapine after a rather long spree of insomnia triggered by one unfortunate panic attack. I'm just wondering, how long did you use the med before coming off it? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yes these medications do cause long-term side effects. If the side effects don't get you in the short run it will get you in the long run. Consider therapy with no medication. Of course diet and exercise along with fish oil and multivitamins.
So in other words you think everyone needs to stay away from medication, unless it's a medication that you personally approve of?

·
Banned
296 Posts
It seems to be the minority in which they do, though. Except for long term benzo use, which apparently can have some permanent cognitive deficits. But still, it's probably not wise to sketch people out about taking their meds. Sometimes they can save lives when people feel so far down in the abyss, that hope is just an insurmountable ladder leading out.

·
Registered
481 Posts
So in other words you think everyone needs to stay away from medication, unless it's a medication that you personally approve of?
Medication if anything should be option z. Quote me on where I said anything about approval. You don't know the history of psychiatry so do your research first before posting.

It seems to be the minority in which they do, though. Except for long term benzo use, which apparently can have some permanent cognitive deficits. But still, it's probably not wise to sketch people out about taking their meds. Sometimes they can save lives when people feel so far down in the abyss, that hope is just an insurmountable ladder leading out.
I disagree; a person is 1.6 times greater to be killed by antidepressants than depressed patients who don't take medication it's something that drug companies and doctors choose to ignore. It's not wise for someone to take a pill that has harmful long-term side effects and that can potentially kill them. If anything antidepressants don't prevent suicides they increase them along with violent behavior so it doesn't save lives those are facts coming from the FDA and drug companies themselves.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Medication if anything should be option z. Quote me on where I said anything about approval. You don't know the history of psychiatry so do your research first before posting.
Your posts may not directly say you don't appove of medication but telling people they shouldn't be on meds long term suggests that you don't approve.

You don't know what I do or don't know about the history of psychiatry. I have a science degree and worked in the pharmaceutical and medical research industry for 17 years. Where does all your knowledge and research come from, the Internet?

For the record I don't like anti-depressants and they don't work for me. But that doesn't mean they don't work for others. When you say things like people SHOULD only take fish oil and multivitamins YOU are the one being controlling. Why do you want to restrict what other people put in their bodies anyway?

·
Spectacular Member
21,089 Posts
Simple solution. Do both, therapy AND medication. This solution far exceeds in efficacy of treating your mental illnesses than either one alone.

·
Spectacular Member
21,089 Posts
Your posts may not directly say you don't appove of medication but telling people they shouldn't be on meds long term suggests that you don't approve.

You don't know what I do or don't know about the history of psychiatry. I have a science degree and worked in the pharmaceutical and medical research industry for 17 years. Where does all your knowledge and research come from, the Internet?

For the record I don't like anti-depressants and they don't work for me. But that doesn't mean they don't work for others. When you say things like people SHOULD only take fish oil and multivitamins YOU are the one being controlling. Why do you want to restrict what other people put in their bodies anyway?
Don't mind Quietboy, hes just a angry hater of meds just cause he prolly was too lazy to educate himself on what he was being given, got an upset stomach, and came here to bash meds for the rest of his days.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts

I disagree; a person is 1.6 times greater to be killed by antidepressants than depressed patients who don't take medication it's something that drug companies and doctors choose to ignore. It's not wise for someone to take a pill that has harmful long-term side effects and that can potentially kill them. If anything antidepressants don't prevent suicides they increase them along with violent behavior so it doesn't save lives those are facts coming from the FDA and drug companies themselves.
My mom was depressed and had suicidal thoughts. She is on Effexor and is happier than ever. It worked for her, and I encourage it. Even though I've had bad luck with antidepressants I still encourage them.

·
Fluctuating
1,353 Posts
Don't mind Quietboy, hes just a angry hater of meds just cause he prolly was too lazy to educate himself on what he was being given, got an upset stomach, and came here to bash meds for the rest of his days.
Strawberries were the last thing i ate before i got gastro thus, i never eat strawberries. Lawl

(i freakin still love and eat strawberries)

·
Fluctuating
1,353 Posts
Hi Sense, I'm currently trying Mirtazapine after a rather long spree of insomnia triggered by one unfortunate panic attack. I'm just wondering, how long did you use the med before coming off it? Thanks in advance.
Ah thats unfortunate. Insomnia is usually inconvenient and does NOT fit in well with a full uni load.

I have been taking Mirtazapine for a mere 6 weeks. Since starting ive put on about 6kg which isnt overly bad, but if i were to stay on it i'd get a nice belly going on and that doesnt really interest me.

Plus the morning/day after sedation didnt seem to lift with me. Others report it usually goes away. This was more problematic than the weight gain.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ive taken an antidepressant for 8 years. what effect do u think this has had / will have on me????

tim
You tell me :) :yes i appreciate your help

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
And yes, to answer your question, i would have taken these medications in the same order again, with the exception of Lexapro as it led to a return in my functionality
Thanks sense !

·
Banned
296 Posts
My mom was depressed and had suicidal thoughts. She is on Effexor and is happier than ever. It worked for her, and I encourage it. Even though I've had bad luck with antidepressants I still encourage them.
Exactly. Sometimes the meds are needed when the situation becomes that dark and horrible. I also would advocate them as a last resort but along with therapy, it has proven to be more effective.

Ah thats unfortunate. Insomnia is usually inconvenient and does NOT fit in well with a full uni load.

I have been taking Mirtazapine for a mere 6 weeks. Since starting ive put on about 6kg which isnt overly bad, but if i were to stay on it i'd get a nice belly going on and that doesnt really interest me.

Plus the morning/day after sedation didnt seem to lift with me. Others report it usually goes away. This was more problematic than the weight gain.
Yeah, I started just taking it sporadically, but want to try and stabilize my sleep, so I'm on day 8 of daily use. The heavy sedation has lifted slightly but I still feel rather lethargic during the day sometimes. And yes, insomnia is awful.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts