Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just want to trap myself in a social environment and get rid of this social anxiety. Why did we create a society where our default is to be alone inside a home. Community should be the default. Once you are disconnected from community it feels impossible to get back in.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have alot to say on the subject, but I'll pose a more general question than yours: Why are moderns so neurotic - not just SADs, but everyone? Lack of community

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have alot to say on the subject, but I'll pose a more general question than yours: Why are moderns so neurotic - not just SADs, but everyone? Lack of community
lack of community definitely explains why there are some really weird people out there... but enough about me :lol

·
Registered
100 Posts
This ultimately comes down to many reasons including the simple fact that neuroticism gets more attention in modern societies due to knowledge and the direction of fields like psychiatry/psychology - with growing institutions in developed countries. Ironically, there is privilege behind being diagnosed with SAD.

And yes, western societies have become less communal as lesuire and spare time have been largely moved into privatized activities. For example, for breaks, a family will fly off to another country on their own while peers remain at work. The work sector itself breeds disconnection, as most people will not have the same job for life and are likely to move around often, as an individual. This is in contrast with about 60 years ago where working was relatively communal *thinks of pictures of miners travelling to work together in groups*.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And yes, western societies have become less communal as lesuire and spare time have been largely moved into privatized activities. For example, for breaks, a family will fly off to another country on their own while peers remain at work. The work sector itself breeds disconnection, as most people will not have the same job for life and are likely to move around often, as an individual. This is in contrast with about 60 years ago where working was relatively communal *thinks of pictures of miners travelling to work together in groups*.
You are right... people tend to try to escape from community during their free time instead of connecting to community. Which makes it very ironic that a guy with SA is trying to connect to community while the extroverts are avoiding it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts