Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been living with my boyfriend for over 2 years now and during the past year, we have moved in and have been living with two other couples in a 3 bedroom house. My boyfriends knows the couples from high school which makes me the odd one out.

I have been struggling extra hard this past year moving to a new town with my boyfriend. I find myself hiding out in my room after work while all the roommates mingle and socialize in the dining/living room area. I hear them talking and laughing and wish I could be a part of that. I tend to tell myself that it's best to just stay in the room so I don't have to talk to anyone. It's even a challenge to make breakfast in the morning because everyone gets up for work at the same time. I find myself rushing out of the room to get what I need and rushing back before anyone sees me. It's ridiculous!

But I've finally began pushing myself to present myself during "social gatherings" in the house. Just now, I went to make myself something to eat and 3 of my roommates were in the dining room/kitchen area talking. I took a few deep breaths and walked out confidently. I said hello first and also contributed a little to the conversation they were having. Then I slipped away back into my room.

Although it was just a few brief moments socializing, I feel it was definitely a good step towards positively getting over my anxiety. I have always tried being social and always felt nervous and insecure when I did, but now that I know I have SA and have gained the knowledge that I have, I have a whole new way of thinking when walking into a social situation. It's still very hard and at times really scary, but as long as I keep my head up and stay positive...I know I can enjoy life to the fullest someday.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Absolutely you can and will get to a point were you can enjoy life to the fullest if you keep working at it. The problem we have isn't insurmountable. It might not always be easy but you will get there. Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts