Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.ajc.com/news/gwinnett/neighbors-say-stone-mountain-130805.html

Those who did interact with Stephens offered nearly uniform accounts: Reserved, polite, didn't bother anyone. If anything, there was pity for the 61-year-old, who lived alone, had few visitors and was currently unemployed.

But none of his neighbors really knew him. No one could say where he was from, or where he had previously worked.

He has few relatives in the metro Atlanta area, and none have consented to interview requests.

His only companion was a stray cat he used to feed. Neighbors say Stephens suspected the cat was killed by some kids who sometimes teased him.
I know many people complain about this, living alone, no friends or family, looked at as weird. This guy seemed to live just like that. He seems to have SA too, and i wonder about the real story of his life. I don't think its normal for people to live like this, decades ago he probably would of at least been around more family, I think. Why are people really living like this? its not because they want to obviously. I think people have much less opportunity to form relationships now and its more about individualism and materialism. Why would anyone live like this unless they had little else they could do.

·
Banned
133 Posts
It is always perplexing why people choose to lead such isolated lifestyles, and I do agree that it is much easier and more common to lead such lonely lifestyles in our modern society, especially in America. It is also entirely possible to come in contact with many people every day and yet feel incredibly lonely (i.e. there is a physical connection with others in that some people are physicall present but there is no emotional connection and therefore this person feels lonely).

For whatever reason, this guy had problems in life, and instead of choosing to get out there and fix them, he chose to stay at home alone and be his set of problems. He figured, at some point, "This is all I am." And now, besides being this set of problems, he has chosen to put those problems on other people by slapping a crying toddler, which is the epitome of people who are miserable. We can't control other people's choices, and very often they choose things that are incredibly unhealthy for themselves, and this includes me.

His problem could have been social anxiety and it could have been other things; it's really hard to tell and pointless to argue about it. What he did is choose to deal with those problems in a poor way, and that's all we really know.

·
sa challenger
5,079 Posts
http://www.ajc.com/news/gwinnett/neighbors-say-stone-mountain-130805.html

I know many people complain about this, living alone, no friends or family, looked at as weird. This guy seemed to live just like that. He seems to have SA too, and i wonder about the real story of his life. I don't think its normal for people to live like this, decades ago he probably would of at least been around more family, I think. Why are people really living like this? its not because they want to obviously. I think people have much less opportunity to form relationships now and its more about individualism and materialism. Why would anyone live like this unless they had little else they could do.
I think some people do want to live like hermits. I also think some homeless people like the freedom of being homeless.

He may have one of numerous disorders. Schizophrenia, Sensory Integration Disorder, Depression, Autism...It's a moot point to say what he did was wrong, and that there was no excuse for it, but there is an explanation.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For whatever reason, this guy had problems in life, and instead of choosing to get out there and fix them, he chose to stay at home alone and be his set of problems.
But that's the problem, did he really choose this? I think many people can try so hard and still end up like this or very similar. what is choice really?

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
There was probably a time where he didn't want to live like that, but after so many years the isolation becomes normal for him, and he probably didn't see anything wrong with it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts