Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a temporary summer place, but I just moved in and it's been a couple of days. I have little in common with my housemates they're all really close to each other. Whenever we're all together, I feel excluded because they're always taking about their other friends or what happened to the people in their friend group. Or a place they've been together.

Sometimes I'll add in a statement but after a while they look away from me and talk to each other again. I just end up being really quiet because I literally have nothing I can contribute to the conversation. Then I start feeling really awkward because I'm being so quiet.

I'm sometimes able to start conversations with each of them when there's less people around, but then when we're all together it happens again. I want to get to know them and not be a room recluse.

What should I do? ):

·
Registered
500 Posts
Just work on getting to know them when there is less people around. Eventually you'll have stories the others don't know about.

·
Registered
899 Posts
It's a temporary summer place, but I just moved in and it's been a couple of days. I have little in common with my housemates they're all really close to each other. Whenever we're all together, I feel excluded because they're always taking about their other friends or what happened to the people in their friend group. Or a place they've been together.

Sometimes I'll add in a statement but after a while they look away from me and talk to each other again. I just end up being really quiet because I literally have nothing I can contribute to the conversation. Then I start feeling really awkward because I'm being so quiet.

I'm sometimes able to start conversations with each of them when there's less people around, but then when we're all together it happens again. I want to get to know them and not be a room recluse.

What should I do? ):
It's a tough situation to be in, for sure. It can be intimidating trying to get to know a group of people, who are already good friends with one another. But I would suggest that you keep including yourself in group conversations/activities, even if it's awkward at first.

Eventually, with time, you'll get to know them and become part of the group--but it won't happen overnight so don't get discouraged if your first few attempts feel uncomfortable.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They aren't really that warm to me in general, but I think one of them is starting to dislike me. I got along with her fine in the beginning, but now she just acts really standoffish whenever I try to talk to her. I'm not great at self-analysis so I can't really tell if it was my behavior or something, but I'm guessing that some of my quietness rubbed her the wrong way. Maybe she thinks I disliked her? But I also initiate (or at least try) to initiate convos, and then I just get flipped off. I feel like there's something very wrong with me and I'm feeling really low now.

If somebody has some input, I'd love some words. ):

1 - 4 of 4 Posts