Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't posted here in ages but lately my anxiety has resurfaced with a vengence. I believe it is all related to my increasingly poor diet and lack of exercise (which has caused weight gain). For some reason I believe about 90% of my anxiety is appearance related, if not all. I'm not superficial, it just seems to work that way when I'm judging myself. I don't judge others like that, so I don't know why I judge myself like that.

Right now I'm working as a summer student in an office environment. I'm finished at the end of August as I'm going back to school in September. Right now I'm doing some work projects with this older associate from another department. I swear he has social anxiety, or he's just a naturally fidgety, soft-spoken, nervous person lol not that I'm judging but he is one of the few older people I have seen who appears to have issues, although I know many of them exist (my mom, for example).

Anyway, when I'm working with him, our anxiety seems to just feed off each other. I swear I'm conscious of my body movements and facial movements the entire time we are working on a project. I feel so self-conscious of my voice, the words I use, my tone of voice, my appearance, my outfit, etc. I try to remind myself to just worry about "being in the moment" and focus on what is actually going on, but this makes it worse for me as I concentrate on my movements even more.

And I get so paranoid about making noise ANYWHERE. I have the house to myself right now and I'm paranoid about making noise. Both my room mates are on vacation but I think for some random reason one of them is going to come walking through the door. That's not even logical. It's like I'm scared of my own freaking shadow.

The only way I know how to cure my anxiety is through diet and exercise, but I feel like I've been using food to medicate my anxiety and as such, my anxiety worsens, and it just turns into a viscious cycle. Anyway, anxiety is the worst emotional pain that exists I think. I wish someone who doesn't have anxiety would try living a day with it, and see what it feels like to not even be able to talk or know what to say, and to feel your face get hot with horrible nervousness over someone asking you a question.

ugh.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The only way I know how to cure my anxiety is through diet and exercise, but I feel like I've been using food to medicate my anxiety and as such, my anxiety worsens, and it just turns into a viscious cycle. Anyway, anxiety is the worst emotional pain that exists I think. I wish someone who doesn't have anxiety would try living a day with it, and see what it feels like to not even be able to talk or know what to say, and to feel your face get hot with horrible nervousness over someone asking you a question.

ugh.
If there is anything I learned recently, is that loosing weight will NOT cure my social anxiety...it's the opposite - curing my social anxiety will allow me to finally lose weight. It's about being comfortable in your own skin no matter what weight you are - yes you might not be happy with your weight (as I feel the same way about myself) but I no longer feel the need to beat myself up about it or assume other people are judging me for it. i swear, if you can get to the bottom of the real FEAR or shame or whatever that causes your anxiety, it will be so much easier for you to then shed the weight and be healthier.

Sorry you're having such a rough time - it's not fair for anyone to live that way. Hope it gets better for you soon!

·
Banned
232 Posts
I know how it is, Ive 'been there'

you need to learn new ways of calming and relaxing yourself
you are like a radio tuned in between stations with volume full up so you catch any static that happens along

your main problem is fear, hard to accept I know, so you need to learn how to relax and stop taking so much notice of yourself

an antidepressant med that works for you would help a lot

·
Losing Ground
2,121 Posts
Anyway, when I'm working with him, our anxiety seems to just feed off each other. I swear I'm conscious of my body movements and facial movements the entire time we are working on a project. I feel so self-conscious of my voice, the words I use, my tone of voice, my appearance, my outfit, etc. I try to remind myself to just worry about "being in the moment" and focus on what is actually going on, but this makes it worse for me as I concentrate on my movements even more.
I feel the same way at work- it sucks. I am always super conscious of all my movements and my voice and my appearance and everything. It makes just working tough.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really feel like diet and exercise play a huge role in anxiety issues for SOME people, and I know I am one of them. I remember when I was into health and fitness. I worked out essentially every day and put only healthy foods in my body, and every day I would bounce out of bed and never experienced any anxiety issues. I'm not going to accept myself when I'm overweight and shovelling junk down my throat. I'm ashamed to be this way and that provokes my anxiety. I know there are some people who are comfortable and anxiety free no matter their weight or appearance, but I do not think I will ever be one of those people. I view the way I look and how I present myself to the world with importance in the 'whole package' that I present to others on a daily basis.

I do need to get to the root issues of my anxiety, I'm not saying that it is all weight related. But losing weight and getting into shape is a good place to start. Then I begin to feel more confident and am able to start taking steps toward root issues. Exercise is so beneficial for depression and anxiety, more beneficial than medication even (and no I'm not making that up, it's actually true). And speaking from experience, exercise and eating right can do wonders for the mind.

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts
And I get so paranoid about making noise ANYWHERE. I have the house to myself right now and I'm paranoid about making noise. Both my room mates are on vacation but I think for some random reason one of them is going to come walking through the door. That's not even logical. It's like I'm scared of my own freaking shadow.
I HATE living with people because I'm always afraid that every little noise I make is going to bother someone.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I can relate to the fitness thing. I definitely noticed a change in my attitude and the amount of anxiety I was having when I started changing my diet and exercising. I never made any huge, abrupt changes but gradually cut out the tons of coffee I was drinking each day and all the other garbage I didn't need. I've started working out at home on a regular basis (although this was a real challenge at first because I get paranoid about the noise thing too and worried people would hear me, gotta love apartment living!) Once I started making noticeable progress with dieting and exercise I started feeling more confident, and having a more positive attitude. I still struggle with it, and still have really bad days but I know that I'm much better off than when I was just sitting on my *** all the time, now I only do that part of the time :D

·
Registered
70 Posts
I really feel like diet and exercise play a huge role in anxiety issues for SOME people, and I know I am one of them. I remember when I was into health and fitness. I worked out essentially every day and put only healthy foods in my body, and every day I would bounce out of bed and never experienced any anxiety issues. I'm not going to accept myself when I'm overweight and shovelling junk down my throat. I'm ashamed to be this way and that provokes my anxiety. I know there are some people who are comfortable and anxiety free no matter their weight or appearance, but I do not think I will ever be one of those people. I view the way I look and how I present myself to the world with importance in the 'whole package' that I present to others on a daily basis.

I do need to get to the root issues of my anxiety, I'm not saying that it is all weight related. But losing weight and getting into shape is a good place to start. Then I begin to feel more confident and am able to start taking steps toward root issues. Exercise is so beneficial for depression and anxiety, more beneficial than medication even (and no I'm not making that up, it's actually true). And speaking from experience, exercise and eating right can do wonders for the mind.
Hey just wanted to say that I totally agree that diet and exercise IS important and will help you or anyone feel better - I just meant that it won't necessarily CURE the SA stuff but yes it is definitely not a bad thing to get healthy!! ( :

1 - 9 of 9 Posts