Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 24 and still live at my parents I know its not that unusual these days but its something I hate to admit to anyone cause I'm sort of embarrassed by it. I feel if I could move out it would be a huge confidence boost for me but I can't really afford a place on my own so I would have to live in a share house. Of course the idea of going to look at a share house, having an interview with the people living there and then moving in with people I barely know scares me quite a bit. I was wondering if anyone has moved out recently and notice an increase in confidence or if anyone is in the same situation as me?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Do you plan to come into some more money later down the road? If so I would just stick it out till you could afford you own place as to actually share a home with random people.

·
Starlight and moonbeams
20,920 Posts
I live at home and I hate it. I'd rather have my own apartment, but with the way the ecomomy is right now, I could only afford sharing an apartment, which would be horrible for my SA.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yeah I'm in the same boat dude it blows. I've been getting intermittent work so i'm not earning enough to move. I've moved out before and lived with two different mates, didn't work out with either really. My confidence did go up to some degree at first, but I eventually went back to old negative thoughts and behaviours. It was tough for me, my friend didn't go out unless I did as he couldn't drive, and a lot of the time I just wanted to get away from him, which created problems. Just try to work towards getting out, do you have any friends who you would consider living with if you don't want to live with strangers? I'm sort of torn between wanting to live by myself or with people. SA can be a pain in the ***. If you really need your own space, you have to consider that too.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is one mate I have who is thinking of moving out as well so I might ask him if he wants to split the rent on a place. It sounds like your mate was annoying you a bit was this something that only started when you moved in together and because you had to see him so often?. I ask cause the mate I'm thinking of is a guy I work with so we'd be seeing a lot of each other.

I do find the idea of living with strangers unnerving but in a way I think it would be good. Usually when I first meet people I'm really quite and awkward but after a while I open up and this only happens in a situation when I'm forced to see the person regularly like at work or school so it could be a good way to make new friends.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I'm still at home..but come to think of it all my friends are too.
For some reason I don't see anything wrong with them staying at home, but kinda like a failure that I do.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Yeah I'm in the same boat. 23 and still at home. My younger brother moved out towards the end of last year. I was really happy for him but it made me feel inadequate as well. That said a lot of the people I know from school and uni are still at home too. So I shouldn't feel too bad and as soon as I get a full time job I will start making plans to move out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Im also 24 and still living at home. It sucks and I am embarrassed by it too. I plan on moving out as soon as I get full-time work.

·
Registered
204 Posts
There is one mate I have who is thinking of moving out as well so I might ask him if he wants to split the rent on a place. It sounds like your mate was annoying you a bit was this something that only started when you moved in together and because you had to see him so often?. I ask cause the mate I'm thinking of is a guy I work with so we'd be seeing a lot of each other.

I do find the idea of living with strangers unnerving but in a way I think it would be good. Usually when I first meet people I'm really quite and awkward but after a while I open up and this only happens in a situation when I'm forced to see the person regularly like at work or school so it could be a good way to make new friends.
Well, we're not friends anymore. He had some problems too with trying to run my life and that sort of thing. It was a small unit so it was more the close proximity and alcohol fueled arguments, good times for all. I guess it all depends on the people and their personalities. I don't think I was tolerant enough, which you have to be when sharing a place. Sounds like you'll work it out anyway.

·
Registered
10,617 Posts
I lived at home until I was 25. I graduated college when I was 24 and couldn't find any job in my field that paid anything more then $7 at that time. I had to work in group homes until I got enough experience to put down on a resume. So I did this until I was 25 and finally landed a job up here in Siberia....I mean the U.P. of Michigan that paid enough so I could live on my own. I have been on my own since.

·
Loser
207 Posts
I'm almost 22 and still living at home, too. It sucks, it's embarrassing and I can't entirely do what I want.

·
Registered
231 Posts
For me moving out made a massive improvement in my mental health and confidence. I wish I had done it it a lot sooner. I believe no matter what sacrifices you have to make to stop being a kidult it is worth it.

·
UnDeRrAtED
34,712 Posts
Ive been home since birth but I only live with a legal guardian so I dont feel much different but if I had the financial stability I would move to a different place.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Most kids my age still live at home, so I'm not fretting yet, though I do feel as though my welcome is being worn out. The fact is that, the same apartment your parents rented for $300 25 years ago is about $1,200 now. Nevermind the insane property taxes in my area and the luxuries (digital cable, high speed internet) that we've come to enjoy over the years. You need to be making serious money before you can move out. At least where I live. But I'm looking forward to it.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
personally, even though I can't stand being here with my grandparents, I feel its better than being completely alone, at least I have someone to turn to if something happens, on my own I would have nothing and noone, and "most" people do seem to have someone around but since I don't I feel I have to live differently than "most" people to make it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'm 25 and I still live at home. I did have an apartment my last year in college, but soon found I didn't have any money and couldn't get a job. I have a full-time job now so I was planning on moving out with my boyfriend this coming June, but he was just laid off due to the economy. So now not only do I live at home with my parents, my boyfriend moved in with us too!

How's that for embarrassing...

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I'm twenty-four and still live at home. I want to move out badly, but my problem is I don't want to just move out - I want to move away.

If I move out, it's not going to be so I can rent a place in this town. I want to go somewhere all new! This is difficult because I'll need to already have a job secured in my new town/state before I move or I'll need to have enough money saved up so that I can pay rent at a new place while looking for a job.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts