Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a fascinating article on a La Trobe University study titled 'Living Alone in Australia'. It explores the phenomenon of the increase in solo living, especially amongst the younger population. I myself look forward to the possibility of living by myself next year.

'More than any other reasons, the respondents cited privacy, the need for independence and the "ability to do what I want" as the chief motivations.' Indeed.

To make this topic relevant to social anxiety disorder in some way, the article basically observes that people are increasingly valuing solitude. For those of you who are cut off from other people due to social anxiety can take a positive from the fact that it is not so weird to spend so much time by yourself anymore, especially since it is no longer the sole domain of 'crazy old cat ladies'. ;)

http://www.theage.com.au/national/theyre-home-alone-and-loving-their-freedom-20090626-czx7.html

·
Banned
2,689 Posts
I lived in a three bedroom apartment for ten years because it was rent controlled and the rent was about half what everyone else was paying. So I stayed even though I didn't like living with other people. Eventually I moved to a one bedroom apartment. I don't think it made a difference either way in terms of my psych issues, but I wish I hadn't moved out because I miss having that extra spending money.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts