Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Loser
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know, kids always tell the truth. When I'm around little kids I'm afraid they could make remarks about my physical symptoms, like "you're sweating!" or "why do you stutter?" and the other people hear it. Anyone else?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I love kids. I find them easier to talk to than adults; I guess I feel like they're less likely to judge me. I have gotten comments like that from a couple of them, but they were complete brats I couldn't stand anyway.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I used to not like children until I had nieces and nephews - I've found that I actually get along with them okay, probably because of my immaturity. My 5-year-old niece was surprisingly understanding and non-judgmental when I told her about my fear of answering phones.

·
Starlight and moonbeams
20,920 Posts
Most kids scare me. Their unpredictability just makes me nervous, I'm always afraid they're going to say something negative about the way I look or act.

The only kids I can say for sure that I like are my friend Kelly's kids, and I think that's because I was there when each of them were born, and I've watched them grow up. They've also never judged me negatively. I feel the same way about them that I would feel about my own kids, if I ever have any.

·
Banned
95 Posts
Yeah kids scare me. They are brave and unpredictable. I am afraid that they would say or do something that would make not to know how to act. They can can embaress you easilly in frotn of otehrs.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I really dislike kids too. People should not have children, they should look at the way things are going and consciously make the choice to not cause more suffering.

There is nothing remotely joyous or interesting about them, they only cause problems, they grow up to often be conflicted and tortured adults. Or bigger problems than they were as kids.

I was quiet and well mannered as a kid, and I expect no less of any child today. If they had a taste of real pain and fear, like I did as a child, they would quickly learn their place.

·
Starlight and moonbeams
20,920 Posts
I really dislike kids too. People should not have children, they should look at the way things are going and consciously make the choice to not cause more suffering.

There is nothing remotely joyous or interesting about them, they only cause problems, they grow up to often be conflicted and tortured adults. Or bigger problems than they were as kids.

I was quiet and well mannered as a kid, and I expect no less of any child today. If they had a taste of real pain and fear, like I did as a child, they would quickly learn their place.
As much as I feel uncomfortable around kids, I don't think not having kids is the answer. I like my friend's kids, they're wonderful, and there are some kids who are 'interesting' and 'joyous', as you put it.

Then there's the spoiled brats who laugh at people's misery and make fun of people. Those kids I do not like, but most often, the parents are just as messed up as those kids are. You become what you were raised and conditioned to be, basically. I try to be understanding, because I know I was a good kid, and I know there are both good kids (like I was) and bad kids.

Plus, if you don't have kids, the human race wouldn't continue, and we'd all die out.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I love them - if you smile at them they always smile back, they're adorable. I can't wait to have children of my own, and if we weren't waiting to get married, we already would have our own.

·
Registered
155 Posts
As much as I feel uncomfortable around kids, I don't think not having kids is the answer. I like my friend's kids, they're wonderful, and there are some kids who are 'interesting' and 'joyous', as you put it.

Then there's the spoiled brats who laugh at people's misery and make fun of people. Those kids I do not like, but most often, the parents are just as messed up as those kids are. You become what you were raised and conditioned to be, basically. I try to be understanding, because I know I was a good kid, and I know there are both good kids (like I was) and bad kids.

Plus, if you don't have kids, the human race wouldn't continue, and we'd all die out.
Of course. That is my subjective opinion of the matter.

People who have kids or spend time with their friend's kids and like them aren't going to understand my viewpoint. I am a male, and if I indicate any interest in or liking of a child, people are going to think I am a pedophile. In fact, people have asked me if I am, because I am alone and I don't hold relationships.

Since I'm not interested in being viewed as a possible degenerate, I haven't made friends with kids, nor will I.

On the same note, I say again that other's views will differ and my point of view is not necessarily right. I have often been wrong.

·
Banned
2,768 Posts
dont like them. 90% of the time i say something i just get a blank stare and dont want to talk to them anymore

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Kids have not developed the art of tact so they say what they see. I'm terrified of kids too, my niece is only 5 months old so she's not talking yet.

·
o_O
6,024 Posts
I like little kids and I find it easier to talk to them and be myself around them because I don't value their opinion of me as much as I do of people my age or older. I guess I don't get the feeling that I need their approval or something to fit in.

·
Too School for Cool
6,857 Posts
I've never been around kids much so I never learned to talk to them. I too am always worried about some sort of shockingly honest outburst. I find them exhausting.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I hate being around little kids, thought its mainly because I don't know how to talk with a kid vocabulary so any time I try to converse with one I feel like an idiot.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I don't not like kids, I'm just not comfortable around them and don't no how to interact with them. This meant that I never wanted kids which my first wife really wanted, so she left:roll (not realising that leaving me would make all my problems worse)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I really comfortable around my own niece and nephew. I feel I am more comfortable with them than any adults. We have a great time. I look forward to their visits.

But if it is a stranger child, yeah it's tough. It's far easier to smile and wave than to say something that could be misinterpreted. I still feel like I am a little kid, but sometimes It seems like I get a nasty look from a nearby parent if I make a comment. I think people assume the worst in you.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I don't really like to be around kids, I feel like I don't even know how to act even more. Lol.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I'm uncomfortable with them but strangely they seem to like me. I worry about them embarrassing me and also I just don't know how to talk to them. Like do you talk to them differently than regular people? But then how do you talk to regular people? I'm uncomfortable everywhere. I'm uncomfortable now sitting here typing this. Not comfortable with this at all.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I can understand people being uncomfortable around them. It's one of the things I worried about before becoming a father. I wouldn't say I'm really great at it, but you get used to it, talking to them and acting silly and what not. Even around others.

What's really cool is that (as was mentioned earlier) they have no tact - they wear their hearts on their sleeves. So when they get all excited when you get home, or give you a hug, or look to you for consoling, it's totally genuine. Makes you feel special and is an awesome feeling.

I remember this one time though, when some kid made a brutally honest remark about my appearance while his parents stood nearby. I had no response, no clue what to say in return - I was completely mortified. The parents just smiled - they didn't say anything to the kid :sus.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts