Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Little Fires

1K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Bredwh 
#1 ·
One thing that seems to be very common among us,is the little fires of anger toward humanity,that most of us tend on a daily basis. The degree of rage/anger varies greatly-with some of us it's just a flicker,with others it's a raging inferno. I'm talking about the many episodes of bullying,slights and years of feeling pushed out of the mainstream of life.The escalation of sadness,lonliness and feelings of inferiority. What are your methods for keeping it under control? Religion,having a couple of wonderful people in your life,which softens much of humanity for you? Meditation,acceptance,what? How do you keep your "little fire", under control?

#4 ·
I don't have much trouble with rage and anger. Except for saying and doing things that angers others. :lol But seriously, I know what you're talking about. I guess I've just become much more at ease with myself in my "over the hill" years. Other than that I have my hobbies and my girlfriend.

#5 ·
For me, it can be extremely difficult to repress that little "fire". When something happens (i.e. a negative confrontation such as extreme criticism or bullying) I absolutely lose it inside and go berserk with anger and hatred (not so much hatred as I used to feel several years ago); usually I have to just stop everything, look deep into myself and mentally force myself to recognize that such feelings aren't right and will only make things worse, even though it can be difficult to do so at times. Meditation on a daily basis will also help soothe you some.

#10 ·
Like Woody, I think I've mellowed with age. As recently as about 5 years ago I got intensely angry on a regular basis, but not so much anymore. I think I've mellowed, but I also think I've learned to handle things better. Exercise sort of inocculates me against getting too worked up, and in the midst of anger that still does occur, going for a walk or doing some stretching calms me.

I'm not adept at seeking someone out when I'm angry. There are a couple of people I can talk to, but I sometimes find myself getting more angry as I talk. Lately, I try to accept that I've gotten angry, and then wait a few days to determine whether I could have done something differently or looked at the situation differently (the latter is usually the case). This has worked fairly well.

The cat just walked across the keyboard, for example. In two days I'll think that one over.

#11 ·
For me, I just don't get angry. I consider anger an irrational emotion which solves nothing. I am also un-offendable. I just don't get angry.

It's a completely different story when it comes to animal cruelty however as this will make me boil into a blinding rage instantly, though it goes away quickly too. I've been known to break things I was holding without even knowing it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.