Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Fresh facts, fresh facts!
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do this exercise with my sister who is always bashing herself. She's a beautiful, caring person who really needs to start seeing that she is more than she makes herself out to be.

I try to do this exercise myself sometimes. Unfortunately, the things I come up with are often physical features that I list because other people have complimented them/commented on them before. Because of this, I am planning on recognizing positive character traits and qualities

So here goes...

I really like my ability to empathize with other people

I really like the fact that I am an optimist and continue to try to spread positivity

I like the fact that I am level-headed and am generally pretty calm and composed

Doing this exercise is a big step for me. I know it's silly to think, but I often avoid complimenting myself because I don't want to be considered as, or see myself as a narcissist.

·
Banned
60 Posts
- Kind (too kind - I guess a weakness aswell)
- Excel at all sports
- Family oriented (maybe somewhat of a weakness aswell)

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'm determined to succeed
I'm a leader
I see the positive side of things

Thanks for creating this thread, it's a breath of fresh air.

Anyone who can't think of anything isn't looking hard enough. :)

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
- When I am comfortable around people I like my silly personality
- I am a caring person by nature
- I am a positive person most of the time

·
Custom User Title
4,231 Posts
Hmm couldn't think of anything for a while, but this is a positivity exercise so pushing the envelope is a necessity methinks, now I feel good:).

When I'm calm and focused I can do anything,
I'm quite attractive,
I'm a friendly and happy guy.

Saying this stuff pushes my modesty boundaries:eek:ops

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
People tell me i think deeply about things, that I'm a natural athlete and i suppose i don't really do a lot of talking to by default a good listener I supposel lol:D... Maybe not the listener part.

·
Banned
2,619 Posts
This one has frustrated me for years, I could never figure out what I like about myself, I am so self conscious that I will compare myself to other people and say well they have a better reason to like themselves then me. Here are some examples that I have come up with recently that I guess in a way make me feel good in a way until next time when I again say oh but I'll never be as good as (John Doe, or Jane Doe over there)

1. I am considered an extremely gifted writer (My father was the Publisher of a Newspaper and was the chief Editor of another Newspaper back home In South Africa which is where my family is from) despite the talent my father passed on through his Genes, I have a deep hatred for the man (I can explain that you later but he ruined my Mothers life and I will never forgive him for it)

2. I am Analytical. I have great computer skills and also mental Analytical skills when it comes to dealing with situations (everyone else's but my own, you ever get that, where your able to help other people but never yourself that's me)

3. I like that I am a genuine down to earth person, with a compassionate and caring heart (but that only gets me so far with people who think it's okay to walk all over me because I'm the guy with No back bone) I can never stand up for myself when faced with a challenge and that makes me upset but I know that I'd rather be a good person then an ego centric *******.

4. I am also Creative (My passion in life was to become an Actor, it was a dream that fulfilled me until the day someone made me feel guilt about it, saying that I was being selfish and not thinking about having a job that would support them) My grandmother said that and expected that I give it up, I was so scared to pursue it after college because I felt no one was ever going to support me I feel humilated by my failure, that I didn't stand up for myself and my dream Now I have to keep lying and trying to look for a dream job, because she's always asking me what do you want to do with your life (That's what I wanted to do and you stole that from me you made me have my fears and my doubts (DAMN IT)

5. I count myself as one of those guys who can be a great listener for Women (not many guys have the ability to listen and really focus on a woman) but unfortunately I'm the guy women talk to about their boyfriend problems I was never the boyfriend only the boyfriend listener (The Boyfriend Whisperer)

·
Banned
1,460 Posts
Hmm couldn't think of anything for a while, but this is a positivity exercise so pushing the envelope is a necessity methinks, now I feel good:).

When I'm calm and focused I can do anything,
I'm quite attractive,
I'm a friendly and happy guy.

Saying this stuff pushes my modesty boundaries:eek:ops
lol when i read "I'm quite attractive" i thought to myself "quite humble as well"

·
miles away
1,217 Posts
-I'm empathetic
-I have dark hair :p (I wish it were darker though)
-I'm creative (but I haven't been lately)

·
Banned
2,265 Posts
I constantly laugh and smile..even thru bad times
I'm straight forward
Sry if I sound conceited lol but I love my hair and eyes.

1 - 20 of 131 Posts