Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a couple of questions....im starting to lift weights now and i notice that

a. though a weight is not that heavy to begin with, after like 2-3 presses (fairly easy and not stressful) it seems like i can barely lift it. the feeling i have is dramatic.

b. no matter what my right arm feels much stronger than the left arm. i am righty so i guess that is why but the difference in the amount of work i can do with each arm is noticeable. (ps...might be a reason for (A).) maybe cause my left arm is longer than the right.

c. left arm dies out quicker than right

i know im just a beginner and it may be normal but i dont know. i need questions. :thanks

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
how about if you feel more "pain" "stress" more on your joints then on your muscles. does that mean you're doing things wrong or the technique is not perfected yet?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Do it right or suffer

when done correctly weighlifting is beneficial to ur health and physical well being....my advice to you if starting out is to get a personal trainer to show you proper technique......that is the most essential to avoid being hurt......when I was 18 young and high on testosterone I would be benching 400 pounds but using all the wrong body parts and messed myself up for a while but when I started lifting again this past year...now I'm 24 I only allow what each individual muscle can handle........for instance yesterday I did 245 on bench 6 setsx 12 reps and in perfect form ...you feel soo much better....no matter how much you lift concentrate on yourself only.... don't pay attention to other guys in the gym lifting heavier noone honestly cares really...I see guys struggling all the time with alot lighter weight and I always spot but tell maybe you should drop down the weight so you won't hurt yourself...and like gumaro said one side of ur body will always be stronger or bigger but in the end it will catch up.....also if you want to build a equal balance of strength faster focus on the free weights for a couple of months.....and remember do leg exercises too....it does not look too good when your upper body is jacked and u gots the chicken legs :lol

·
Registered
101 Posts
From the sounds of it you're starting off with too much weight - it would explain the low reps and joint pain.

Do as the others have suggested and lower the weight so that you're able to do a minimum of 8 repetitions before failure. Ideally you'll want to take that up to 10 or 12, given that you've only begun weight lifting. Your body will be put under far too much strain if you throw it into a champion bodybuilding workout routine right off the bat.

Technique is crucial. Failure to observe it can (and often will) result in abnormal (or no) muscle growth and serious injury. Far too often I see guys in the gym trying to impress themselves or others by lifting more than they should for an exercise. They'll sacrifice technique for an extra plate on the barbell and wind up turning an effective exercise into a waste of time and energy. Don't be like them.

And like c0 says, diet is equally important. Bulking up aside, a poor diet means a poor performance in the gym and will likely have you feeling ill during and after your workout.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanx every one for the good advice......im not a skinny guy though. im a fat **** so to speak.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cant really work my legs now... my pops says i might have pulled a ligament in my knee strained it or something and now i have a lump by my knee. it hurts at times. gootta find time to go to a doc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts