Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Null
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always felt like I am keeping my life on hold until I can finally get rid of SA. Then I finally realized that this is an ongoing process, and in order to overcome or make progress against SA, I must actually be living each and every moment.

My situation is this: I have eliminated a lot of things from my life and lost a lot of passion. Social isolation and loneliness also creeps up on me every so often. I find it hard to regain that spark which makes me feel alive or have something to look forward to. I dont want to keep my life on hold anymore.

What do you guys do that you truly enjoy, regardless of what people think. I feel like daily life has become a script for me, one which is getting more and more repetitive with less and less plot. I need something which I can do by self without seeking the approval of others.

· Registered
252 Posts
Theres not much of a "going away" for me. I know I will be like this for a long time if not for the rest of my life. The quicker I can just live with it and still be happy, the better. My life is very scripted by now. I have had the same day for the past 2 years, and the only time it changes is when I am forced or feel forced to change something.

I used to enjoy skateboarding and going to local music shows a lot but I never do either of those anymore. I still like being outside, but it has to be in small or "controlled" area where I most likely won't have to talk to anyone.

· killer of conversations
10,547 Posts
There's not a whole whack of choices for me here, but I like nature a lot and find peace exploring semi-deserted areas. I take pictures, film a little. It's fun for me. Completely alone. I can have a good time without the company of others, and no one is there to tell me otherwise.

When I read that you lost a lot of passion, I feel for you. I'm sure many of us here know what it's like to hide under a rock and be afraid of being ourselves. It's difficult to not care about what other people think. Lately I've felt that something major is missing in my life, but I just remind myself to keep my chin up and face things, not run from them. Eventually they will catch up, the problem will constantly be at your back. So fight it instead.

Best of luck.

· Registered
1,198 Posts
I read the title of your thread and thought, "Yup, that's me. Life on hold. Always waiting."

I often put my life on hold, only it's not always due to SA. In high school I thought if I could just make it through high school, if I could wait, then everything would be better after high school. The same thing happened in college. If I could just make it through, then my life might begin when I graduate. I'm always waiting on something - If my acne would just go away, if I could just get enough savings, and so forth.

In fact, I'm doing it right now. I have something I'm really looking forward to in May, so if I can just make it there, then things will start looking up.

Perhaps in order to really enjoy life and stop putting it on hold, one has to find joy in the little day-to-day things, and maybe do something a little different every day. Everyone's going to have some sort of routine and structure to their day, but if you can change one thing every day just that little bit of variety might make you feel more alive. Maybe go to a new restaurant, do your hair a little different, take a different route than usual on your way to work, etc.

As for doing something for myself that I truly enjoy, I've always liked jogging/walking. Exercise is a great way to feel more alive. Writing is also something you could do by yourself without seeking the approval of others. You can write about whatever you want. You say your life has less and less plot, maybe it would help to write about a life that does have a plot. :stu It might become a passion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.