1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Here, there & everywhere
233 Posts
I've actually been doing a lot of research on this lately (the scientific and philosophical side...not religious). One of my friends died almost 2 years ago, and ever since his death I've been questioning my own mortality. I don't think that there is a heaven or hell but I do believe something may happen after our bodies die.

·
unashamed perv
1,786 Posts
No such thing as too many documentaries! Just don't take them all at face value, and question everything.

The matter that makes up your body doesn't convert to energy when you die, it just undergoes chemical reactions - it decays - and becomes different types of matter. Like grass, flowers, and trees, and earth around and near your burial plot. The heat energy in your body will just dissipate, and warm the surrounding air slightly, just as it does when you're alive.

If it's conciousness you're thinking about, well, I haven't read enough philosophy to say much about that! But if you want to understand conciousness, the little bit of you that lives behind your eyes and thinks, and makes you you, then study philosophy. If you want to understand how energy behaves, study physics.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
I don't believe in an afterlife, but I find it possible that energy in some form can persist outside the body. I heard an explanation that gets into quantum physics quite a bit and I'm not sure I can repeat it, but it sounded very possible.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Scientist theroize that near death experiences come from a mixture of pscyhadelics being released in the brain (dmt) and your ego trying to cope with the fact that it's going to die. There is no hard evidence that there is anything after you die, but who knows that is what faith is about. Myself I don't think about it because it is worthless to do so all it can do is lead to stress and worries, the now is the most important thing to focus on.

·
Banned
70 Posts
Energy does not go anywhere. It remains in the universe. Energy is neither destroyed nor created. Energy is not some spiritual term that describes some ephemeral diffuse gas. It is a physics term that describes how \"work\" is done. To change something from one state to another, one needs energy. The energy in our body that performs work in the form of neural electric impulses, action potentials, etc is simply not used when we die and diffuses to the outer environment. We expend energy all day and it is transferred to work or remains unused. This is no different from death.

·
gone
5,224 Posts
Energy does not go anywhere. It remains in the universe. Energy is neither destroyed nor created. Energy is not some spiritual term that describes some ephemeral diffuse gas. It is a physics term that describes how \"work\" is done. To change something from one state to another, one needs energy. The energy in our body that performs work in the form of neural electric impulses, action potentials, etc is simply not used when we die and diffuses to the outer environment. We expend energy all day and it is transferred to work or remains unused. This is no different from death.
Well put. The word 'energy' I think suffers almost as much as the word 'quantum' when it comes to supernatural new age-y stuff.

I think a lot of people say 'energy' to mean some kind of soul, or supernatural life force, or something. But then they confuse it with the scientific concept of energy, which is quite different. Raised eyebrows ensue.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Did any Aussies hear of that woman on the news who says she saw herself dead? I realize this is a common tale of people who have 'come back'. But it does make me wonder. I used to think, maybe its just wishful thinking, kinda like if you believe you'll go to (whatever you believe), and you dont, you'd feel let down wouldnt you, so to make up for your missjudgement, you might say you went there, like believing your own lie? Well thats what I thought.
But then I started thinking, why can some of these people recall exactly what was going on in the room, if they were dead? Why is everyones 'journey' to the otherside personalized? Why some firm athiests come back believing?
I still dont believe in a 'god' or higher intelligence or religion, but Im started to think that 'matter' in the universe is energy, energy is matter, if you are energy, where does the energy go after you die? What if your energy is 'recycled' back into the earth? Im thinking there is more of a scientific reason behind this.
Hmm have I been watching too many science and the universe docos lately? lol
Oh yea, she did see herself dead. It was a glitch in death. God has Geek Squad working on it. It'll be back up and running in no time. That's why God created geeks, to do his bidding when his own creations(death) fail.

·
going hazy
8,724 Posts
I'm terrified of the concept of death. It's comforting to try to believe that there is life after death, but I really don't think there is, and it's something I don't like to think about.

Hold me.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'm terrified of the concept of death. It's comforting to try to believe that there is life after death, but I really don't think there is, and it's something I don't like to think about.

Hold me.
:squeeze

But yea, rotting in the ground sounds perfect. Better than going to hell since you weren't born into religion and were "blinded" by all of society.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Well unlike some of you, I actually do believe in the possibility of life after death. I believe in re-incarnation. I was watching a case about a four year old who would have nightmares about being in a plane that was hit and he died.. He would tell his parents that the Japanese hit his plane.. He even knew the name of the plane and such.. He also knew his name(which i forgot, lol) and so his parents did some research and found out that that person actually existed and that he died in the war after a Japanese plane hit it... How is a four year old child supposed to know that?.. Of course, this could all be a hoax and so but I still believe in re-incarnation because of the constant feelings of deja-vu when doing something for the first time..

Life is a mystery and we're just not meant to know everything.. We can just theorize and have our own beliefs as to why and how we got here, what happens once we leave, etc.. LOl.. I love philosophy.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Any links to the story would be appreciated. I've been thinking a lot about this in the past few days. My own thoughts on the subject are probably too chaotic and rooted in my Christian upbringing to be of any help, so I'll just keep them to myself. All I will say is that life is not so simple, so why should death be?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Charles: Yea I know what I said don't have much to do with philosophy but all I said was I love philosophy.. That's all I said.. And I believe in life after death because I'm very open-minded and I think that anything is possible.. I think we're all free to believe what we want.. Don't you think so? From the looks of it, you don't believe in it and probably think its all just a bunch of non-sense. Well that's okay and I respect your beliefs.

·
Registered
371 Posts
As you do? LOL.. I'm just letting you know that though you believe I'm "wrong"(Maybe I am, maybe I'm not) I'm sticking with my believes.. Everyone is free to do so.. I was just saying that I don't care that you don't want to change your thoughts. Don't. Thank you, have a nice day.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What you just described is not philosophy, but some weird mysticism/religious nonsense. Philosophy is based on logical arguments that can be clearly defined and followed through. Putting together random theories made out of the blue does not constitute philosophpical thinking. Just wanted to clear that up. I am getting sick of everyone claiming that some random voodoo happenings that occured somehow constitute their personal philosophy.
Philosophy has to be logical? Who says? Philosophy is not science.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
371 Posts
You dont make any sense. Where is the logic in anything that you say?
LOL that's the problem.. I don't think too logically.. I don't really care either.. I like that I don't. I like that I think different from most.. You probably think I'm a weirdo but it's cool.. I am who I am.. Don't judge me because of my thoughts and beliefs.. I'm not judging you.. It's kinda funny actually..

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

1 - 20 of 28 Posts