Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Excelsior
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else lie or embellish stories just to seem interesting. This is one of the things i hate about my SA. I always feel self conscious that im coming across as awkward or boring. So i always feel the need to make things up...

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Nope and even if I did it wouldn't work out in my favor if anything because I'm a horrible story teller.

People might find your own stories interesting, so maybe you should give it a try and stop making up stories.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I don't lie, but sometimes I embellish stories just a bit to make them more interesting. I can't even do that when my anxiety level gets too high though. Personally, I think most people lie or at least embellish stories. I don't see anything wrong with it if it helps you cope.

·
Excelsior
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope and even if I did it wouldn't work out in my favor if anything because I'm a horrible story teller.
i wouldnt say their really elaborate stories per say. They are more like replies to generic questions like "what did you do on the weekend?"

·
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic
28,958 Posts
I'm a sucky liar/embellisher; when I tell fibs even they tend to come right back at me. So no, I just tell the boring truth. Even if I did lie successfully what would be the point of it?--I'd have to keep it up and try to impress people with something that I'm not. I get no fulfillment from that; I want people to find me interesting for what I really do, not what I say I do (but don't really do).

I've never fully understood the SA tendency to lie about what one does to appear more interesting...I mean, yes, you might seem more interesting, but it won't help you in the long run, and it won't help you socialize if you're not actually out doing things. I guess I'd rather seem boring and pathetic than lie to make myself look better. But that's just me, this phenomenon seems to be common here. :/

Not judging you, just saying it's not something whose benefits I fully understand. :stu

1 - 7 of 7 Posts