Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
I have been on both but frankly its unique to everyone, there's no point in reading others' experiences. We all react uniquely to the meds.

I personally feel more generally emotionally 'numbed' by lexapro but zoloft makes me too emotionally 'jacked' or agitated. This may have to do with zolofts effects on dopamine as opposed to lexapros very specific inhibition of serotonin.

·
Banned
232 Posts
sadly everyone reacts differently to each AD, often a particular AD will stimulate one and sedate another

BTW wellbutrin was the only non prozac type one you mentioned

·
Registered
544 Posts
Well I've only tried Zoloft out of the two, Lexapro is the next one I might try.

Zoloft is a very weird one for me. For the first week, I would say my symptoms are a little bit comparable to someone who's manic. I feel like I am moving and doing everything at super speed, and I have all this energy to throw around, and my mind can't stop thinking, and I have all these things to do... You get the picture. Which feels great, because I don't always feel like that and the little period is often very special for me, as crazy as that sounds. But the effect eventually dies off after the initial first week or so and while it can useful for some aspects of anxiety, I found it made me a little bit more OCD.. Which is good and bad, because things get done, but I was just obsessing too much about silly things. Over time as well, it made my emotions feel super numbed, probably more than any other SSRI and that was when I was switched to Effexor which I will say was like poison to the brain in my experience.

Anyway that's my experience.

·
Lazy guy on the couch
54 Posts
Been on Lexapro for like 2 years give or take a few months... I can say That, It did really help me out. I went back to school, got some Microsoft certifications, Landed some pretty good jobs..... It did seem like it helped my anxiety out quite a bit.... I'm also on klonopin, normally take it once or twice a day 0.5 MG......

I can honestlly say, It has helped me SA quite a bit, the only real downfall is that I am tired all the time.... I have to drink soda/ coffee just to stay awake sometimes......

There have been times I've been so tired, and zombie like, my friends thought I was on pain meds.... I don't think I experienced this until about a year after taking it...

I will say though, I had alot of success with Lexapro, and I probably need to add some kind of medication to get some pep in my step...

I've tried zoloft too before I was on lexapro... The switching of medication was pretty smooth, and really didn't notice any side effects....

To my Zoloft was crap, but I wasn't on klonopin either at the time, so I'm sure that's helping me alot too....

·
Registered
544 Posts
I have failed exams and certain pieces of work because of anti-depressants which is one of the reasons why I absolutely hate them sometimes. I remember failing 2 exams while in college, I got 20% on the paper, which I was really ashamed about because I did tons of revision, but it just wasn't going in. Then, I went off my meds over during that summer and retook them again and scored 80%. Huge difference. So as you can see, for some people, if you are in education and taking them it can be a bit of a problem.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Well, I've always been pretty good at making sure I learn my work and pass my exams at work and school - I'm kinda a bit OCD in that regard. So when I went on Celexa and later Paxil, my grades began to plummet quite badly and in general I was having difficulty understanding things. But despite those things, while on Paxil I had wonderful anxiety relief, so I guess it's all good and bad.

·
Lazy guy on the couch
54 Posts
Here's where I gained the most out of Lexapro. I was able to concentrate more in class because my anxiety levels were under control. If i wasn't on lexapro, I have no idea how good I would be able to focus in class and actually take in the information, process it, and understand it.. Now, if I had been anxious I'd probably be more worried about feeling anxious than actually paying attention in class.. Hope this helps

·
Registered
676 Posts
Now, if I had been anxious I'd probably be more worried about feeling anxious than actually paying attention in class.. Hope this helps
Ah, maybe a bit pointless for me to do so but I just had to call this out; this is totally the reason why I have not done very well in school since about 8th grade. Adderall actually makes this anxiety worse, but for me, more than anything I desire social acceptance and I see adderall as benefiting my socialability so I stay on it. Of course at the same time it makes me near completely incapable of succeding in school because I'm so obsessed with micromanaging my thoughts and behavior in order to be un-offensive/pleasant to others. While off of adderall I am less anxious but also even more whale **** at the bottom of the ocean depressed. A lovely catch 22. Anyways, sorry for the off topic, but that just caught my eye as it is the story of my life.

Sorry if I came off as a jerk in my first post locsaf, I was pretty drunk when I wrote that. There certainly are plenty of 'points', or logical reasons for wanting to hear about others experiences with meds.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just did a Google search and stumbled across this forum and thread. I started taking 10mg of Lexapro daily about 10 months ago, for anxiety. I had never taken any other medications for it, so I can't compare it to anything else. It took a couple weeks for me to start to feel like I was getting anything out of it. I didn't really know what to expect. It certainly wasn't like I was getting high, or had some kind of sudden, magical experience. I had some side effects, including sexual, as my doctor had warned, but they went away pretty quickly.

The good news is that I did start to feel better, and less anxious after a few weeks or a month or so. I felt less edgy and irritable. I was able to concentrate and focus better - I was thinking about work, and doing my job while I was at work, instead of being easily distracted and scattered, and then going home and not being able to sleep because I was worried about everything I hadn't done and was going to have to do the next day, and repeating the cycle all over again. And it continued to improve for the next several months.

Lately, however, and the reason I was doing the Google search in the first place, is that my anxiety has really started to reassert itself. I don't know whether the positive effects of the Lexapro are wearing off, or if I need a larger dose, combine it with something else, or what. I'm seeing my doctor in a couple weeks and will discuss it with him, but I just wanted to see whether this might be a common occurrence.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts