Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Optimism Prime~
7,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone like me try to keep up to date with the latest computer hardware? If there's enough demand here, I'll try to post important updates in the field when and where they happen. ;)

Also, do any of you have a company preference? Personally I try to buy AMD where possible over Intel, and to a much lesser extent I have soft spot for ATI GPU's.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I prefer AMD as well but before I bought my Core i7 system I researched for months on end on which company to go with. Finally I decided to go with Intel because they were offering what I was looking for even though they were much pricier, but in hindsight I don't regret it cause my system is extremely future proof. The only thing I can think of upgrading anytime soon is the video card (currently have a Geforce GTX260).

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
I normally buy something that's Intel (board/processor wise) and Nvidia (GPU wise). I mostly pick this combo because I've had good luck with drivers this way on Linux. ATI driver support is pretty horrible on Linux, especially if you want to use desktop compositing or see good graphics when using Wine.

·
···---···
3,375 Posts
I'll be replacing the cpu+mobo on my gaming computer soon so I'll keep checking this thread for ideas. I've always used Intel before so this might be a good time to try an AMD.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I'm a little bit of an AMD fanboy, but I'm very tempted to upgrade to an i5 (from my ancient skt 939 single core). An athlon 620 could make for a very cheap system, but the i5 750 is not really a huge step up price wise.

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts
I dropped my box of punch cards all over the floor and I think one of the vacuum tubes blew in my mainframe. I think it may be time for an upgrade.

I'd like to drop in a quad core in the next little while if the prices come down some.

·
Optimism Prime~
7,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm glad there's other computer enthusiasts on here :boogieAll you guys seem to have (or upgrading to) decent set-ups; I'm stuck in the stone ages with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ in my main PC at home. I've held back upgrading because I'm doing a lot less gaming nowadays - and when I do it's stuff like CS:S, Team Fortress 2 and the odd classic. Hopefully I will upgrade at some point next year, I'm really waiting for a game or piece of software that forces me to do it to be honest. :b

·
Registered
192 Posts
love computers

here are my set ups, both are using xp64 but will upragde to windows 7 64bit when i have the money
Sys1:Q6600,8GB Ram,BFG 8800GTX(768mb)
Sys2:QX9650,8GB Ram,BFG GTX 285 OC2(1GB)
You can grab Windows 7 RC1, it's been out for awhile now and even though it's not the final retail (or OEM) it's runs smooth as silk with no problems with crashing.

I'm currently using build 7100 except mine is 32bit

·
Banned
64 Posts
You can grab Windows 7 RC1, it's been out for awhile now and even though it's not the final retail (or OEM) it's runs smooth as silk with no problems with crashing.

I'm currently using build 7100 except mine is 32bit
Apparently you did not get the memo, RC1 auto shutdown every 2 hours.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Huh? I've been running Windows 7 with no issues at all. I haven't been keeping up with the latest version, which is build 7600, but the difference between that and 7100 (which I run) doesn't effect my experience at all so I'm not gonna' bother downloading a copy.

Elaborate?

·
Registered
192 Posts
I think they might have shifted the expiration date to June 2010.

Run this command and find out
slmgr.vbs -dlv
My license ends 06/01/2010 at 4:59:59PM, but I've been running this build since the summer and I can remember the expiration date still being in 2010.

·
Optimism Prime~
7,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You guys have probably already heard this, but I'll post it up anyway. :b

AMD have struck first in the graphics race by launching their next generation of GPU's ahead of rivals Nvidia. The new Radeon HD5870 pinches the title of fastest GPU from Nvidia's GeForce GTX285.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Anyone like me try to keep up to date with the latest computer hardware?
Not really. If it'll handle the Photoshop stuff I want it to do, then that's good enough for me. I don't play many games, and certainly not the latest ones, so I don't need a totally state of the art setup.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts