Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
could you manage to smile at people and open up your body language to people everyday for 30 days ?

if you answered yes then that means you can overcome SA completely

SA is nothing more than a bunch of behvaioural habits - not smiling at people, having closed body language, avoiding places, using safety behaviours, not talking , etc......

to overcome it you just have to conquer one habit at a time. if you avoid places you could attend those places everyday for 30 days. it would be uncomfortbale at first but after 10 days the level of resistance would begin to decrease and by 30 days attending those places would be confortable, you would even like it, and it would be automatic. avoiding them is something you wouldnt desire to do any more

then you could move onto the next habit. maybe you hide your face when you blush. you could spend 30 days leting people see you blush. it would take a lot of courage at first but after 30 days would be willing to let people see you blush, you wouldnt even care, it could even seem like fun

overcoming SA is SIMPLE. but dont get simple and easy mixed up. simple means its not compliated , its not rocket science. but simple does not mean its not hard. it is hard , it requires discipline and dedication and it also requires courage cos changing a habit is very uncomfortable

but the moral of this is that it can be done , absolutely

·
Registered
99 Posts
I hate smiling when it's unnatural. I can't ever take many pictures, and when I do I end up making a goofy face instead of a smile.

·
Banned
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you use this advice for yourself and did this work for you? this is very good advice for all of us.
i actually have tried it and was amazed by the results.

i had a fear of being the centre of attention so to get over it i decided to spend 3 hours a day - 5 days per week shadow boxing in a shopping centre

i dressed up in fancy dress as the scarecrow from the wizard of oz and i put on a pair of boxing gloves (thi was all so that i could attract as much attention as possible, get as many eyes on me as i could to give me the chance to get over the fear)

at 1st it was terribly hard and extremely unconfortable . after 10 days though the resistance died down a bit . after 21 days i was actaully enjoying it, and loked forward to doing it, there was no fear at all.

if turning something as extreme as that from an uncomfotable situation to a confortable one was possible then i beleive its possible to transform any social anxiety habit.

smiling at someone is not as hard as what i did. granted it will be hard but if you persist it gets easier and then eventually its secnd nature

·
Banned
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hate smiling when it's unnatural. I can't ever take many pictures, and when I do I end up making a goofy face instead of a smile.
i have a solution for this .

1st spend 30 days mastering it at home in front of the mirror. then once you are confy with that go out and smile at other people .

there are 3 things you need to master this :

1- physical action
2-mental rehearsal
3-modelling
4-self image

MENTAL REHEARSAL - vizualize yourself smiling and feeling confy doing it. the uncocnious mind doesnt no the difference between a real or vividly imagined experience. so if you imagine yourself smiling its just as good as actually doing it. mentally rehearsing it will make the habit stronger

MODELLING - if you vizualize somebody who is confident at smiling, and then step inside their body and feel the way they do , you intuitively learn how to smile

PHYSICAL ACTION- just practice , practice , practice infront of the mirror. the more you repeat it the more confortbale it will beocme . after 30 days you should actually enjoy smiling infront of the mirror

SELF IMAGE - develop the self image of being a person who loks good smiling . vizualize yourself looking great as you smile ,and completely at ease. then step inside your own body in the vizualization and take ont hat new self image

1 - 7 of 7 Posts