Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm getting a roommate to share my apartment with. Which person would seem most likely to cause less anxiety? Please explain. It's kind of a dumb question I know but any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm 26yr old male.

40yr female nurse
26yr female I don't know what she does

·
Registered
811 Posts
Usually someone in your age group would cause more SA then someone older or younger than you but it still seems weird to me for a 26 yr old guy to room with a 40 yr old woman.
I'd pick the 26 yr old girl. It might be a bit hard at first but since you are living together you would be together a lot and you would get to know her fast hopefully and get more comfortable with her. I think it could really help you because you would sort of be forced to become comfortable with her and once you're comfortable with her it may help with other people too.
Plus if you find her attractive you could eventually lead it to a relationship. It could be roommate->friend->girlfriend->wife->ex-wife. Alright, maybe not the last one ;). If you're afraid a good looking girl wouldn't talk to you you shouldn't be because if she's your roommate she'd have to and thus would get a chance to get to know you.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Usually someone in your age group would cause more SA then someone older or younger than you but it still seems weird to me for a 26 yr old guy to room with a 40 yr old woman.
I'd pick the 26 yr old girl. It might be a bit hard at first but since you are living together you would be together a lot and you would get to know her fast hopefully and get more comfortable with her. I think it could really help you because you would sort of be forced to become comfortable with her and once you're comfortable with her it may help with other people too.
Plus if you find her attractive you could eventually lead it to a relationship. It could be roommate->friend->girlfriend->wife->ex-wife. Alright, maybe not the last one ;). If you're afraid a good looking girl wouldn't talk to you you shouldn't be because if she's your roommate she'd have to and thus would get a chance to get to know you.
Thanks. Yeah that's what I was thinking. I haven't met her yet so I don't if there any attraction there or not. If there is I'm pretty sure that will go out the window once the Psychiatrists bills start showing up.

·
SAS Member
31,297 Posts
Hmm, that's a tough one. The nurse would be good because she would be more mature and would keep after herself most likely, but she might have some baggage. Also, the possibility of her treating you like a kid if you start doing things that she doesn't approve of. She also might have weird hours being a nurse so it might clash with being noisy and such in the house if she has to sleep while you're awake.

The other girl would be good because she's your age so you would relate better with issues. She also might be able to help you socially with things. The potential for romance is a possibility as well, hehe. The bad is the possibility that she may not be very motivated to clean. Also, she may be into the party lifestyle. She may also judge you more harshly if your social life isn't that great.

These are all just speculations though and they may be completely inaccurate. My answer for who would be less anxiety provoking would probably have to be the 40 year old nurse. Just because she is probably going to be more mature and understanding. You're probably also less likely to have a physical attraction to her so that will lessen your anxiety around her.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.