Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
SAS Member
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so whats peopls opinion of this? is it a line that you just don't cross? dealing with money has a whole set of rules on its own right?

·
SAS Member
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess only a fool parts with his money easily, but then again, only a cokk wont help his friend

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
I think it's OK, as long as you're prepared not to get any of it back and not to feel resentful about it. So I think it's probably best to give the money and forget about it. But I doubt that I personally would be able to do that and maintain the same attitude to a friend.

·
resident classicist
4,408 Posts
If it were a close friend and they really needed it, I'd give it to them. But yeah I wouldn't expect it back for a long time if ever.

·
Registered
10,523 Posts
I loaned out a few bucks to coworkers, but they paid me back. They are Direct Care staff and they don't get paid squat. I think one staff needed to buy diapers.

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
If it was a good friend then I wouldn't mind doing it. The one thing I probably wouldn't do though is cosign for something with a friend like a car for example.

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
A few bucks here and there I wouldn't mind. I'd give away money.

But for larger amounts, don't come to me. I'm not a bank, nor do I care to roll the dice with regard to the odds of you paying me back. I have my own bills to pay - I don't need someone else's debt on top of that.

I think a good rule of thumb is to loan up to the amount you'd be willing to GIVE because there's just no knowing for sure whether you'll see it again.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
It depends on the person and the circumstances. Lending a a few bucks to a friend isn't that big of a deal.

But I don't loan any significant amounts of money or possessions to anyone. Growing up, I occasionally lent money and CD's to people, and every single time I had to go out of way and fight to get it back. So I've learned the hard way that people are shady like that.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
They're asking you for money because they can't get it from more traditional sources (because they're a bad credit risk). Can you seriously imagine you were their first choice for funding?

If you loan money to friends or relatives you had best be prepared to consider it a gift as it's quite possible that they won't pay you back. You may feel an obligation to give them money so as to not offend them and lose a friend, but you'll be losing a friend when they fail to pay you back a big pile of money and you're mad as hell so why not say "No" and save money. Lending money is not good for a friendship.

I've only had three people ask me for money in my life and in every case I said NO. Two were asking for loans that time proved would never have been paid back (one wanted $3,000 and the other even more than that). Another one offered a week of services for $5,000 -- I'll allow you to guess what services must be offered for that kind of money. She withdrew the offer the next day, feeling embarrassed that she'd even suggested such a deal.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I think it's OK, as long as you're prepared not to get any of it back and not to feel resentful about it. So I think it's probably best to give the money and forget about it. But I doubt that I personally would be able to do that and maintain the same attitude to a friend.
That's exactly right. Give it out, but don't expect to see it back. The true friends would pay you back anyway, without having to be hassled over it.

·
Viva La Raza!
34,841 Posts
the thing about loaning money is that that person will keep on asking for another loan until you say no

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
the thing about loaning money is that that person will keep on asking for another loan until you say no
I saw this happen with a former coworker. A guy who was a former employee of the company we worked at (he was no longer able to hold down a job because he had a drink problem) would come in occasionally to visit her. On each occasion, he would give her a little sob story, and she would end up giving him some money. She was aware that she wouldn't get the money back, and she knew that the money was the only reason he came to see her, but she felt sorry for him.

·
Poorly Educated
4,912 Posts
It would depend on the situation and how close I was to them. If it was someone I really cared about who was faced with an emergency and I knew they had no other options and no way to pay me back I probably would...I'm far from being rich but I'm not a selfish person either and true friendship has no price to me....there's more important things in life than money. I've lent my parents a substantial amount interest free a few times when they needed help and they always paid me back, but I've never been asked for more than a few dollars by anyone outside of my own family.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Maybe if it was a friend that I knew for decades and trusted with my life, but nah. Neither a borrower nor a lender be is really good advice and I follow it to a T. Lending or borrowing money can only lead to hurt feelings most of the time.

·
Done with SA
1,818 Posts
It depends on how good of a friend they are and what the circumstances are. If they need some food, gas, something like that, it'll probably always be a yes. I won't mind and won't care if I ever get it back. If it's for drugs or something like that, it'll always be a no.

But, since I don't have any close friends, really, I don't ever have to worry about this.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
there's probably a limit on how much someone gives/lends. and on how much you'd inconvenience your friend by asking him for money.

Personally, I wouldn't give more than $200 or so. I guess it also depends on how much money you could comfortably part with, because it will probably be a long time until you see it again--and likely not everything at once.

·
Banned
850 Posts
nope i wouldnt lend money to anyone including friends unless either a: that money was to go get some resumes made up so they could get their bum *** a job or b: to go get something to eat so they ll have enough energy to get their bum *** outside to look for a job. i work extremely hard for my money and to have some parisite piece of mooching **** of a friend ask me for money cause theyre spoiled lazy irresponsible and cant manage their own is enough to make me not want to be thier freind. **** people and friends like that.

·
I am, etc.
1,381 Posts
I would lend/give those I consider my friends a few hundred with no questions asked, unless I knew they had some drug habit. For family I'd lend more if I'm able.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts