Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you consider the least worst of the SSRI / SNRI medications? (If you had to take one)

I've weaned off Cymbalta (for anxitey ) over the last four months. Been off Cymbalta for 4 weeks and have been fine until now. My anxiety has come back stronger then ever with panic attacks everyday along with a constant uneasy feeling every minute. I don't like the medication route hence getting off the Cymbalta, but may have come to the realization that I just might need some from of SSRI in my life to function normally. I appreciate any advice

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
It's hard to say because it's going to vary from person to person of course, however Lexapro seems to have the largest number of yearly prescriptions, which I tend to see as a possible marker of patient acceptability for the reason stated below.

Although a medication could be popular for a variety of reasons (such as aggressive marketing), I see it sort of like this; if person A is prescribed 'med X' and doesn't like it, generally they won't come back and ask for another prescription for that med. So to my reasoning a high number of annual prescriptions may suggest that overall a large number of people were decently happy with it and didn't experience intolerable side effects. Ofcourse we need to take generics into account too, which is why I used this specific list as a reference point.

http://psychcentral.com/lib/2010/top-25-psychiatric-prescriptions-for-2009/

·
baclofen enthusiast
2,748 Posts
in my opinion paroxetine - cymbalta - effexor are better than the others

·
Registered
2,403 Posts

·
SASsy
18,100 Posts
I've only taken Zoloft [Sertraline] and it works great for me. :)

·
baclofen enthusiast
2,748 Posts
How did you find cymbalta vs effexor for treating depression?
I find these two meds very similar, both quite effective for anxiety but no so much for mood (and this is the main reason why I alternate them).
I've experienced some mood swings on Efexor (which doesn't occur with Cymbalta) so that it's hard to see whether Efexor is good for me or not.
It seems that sexual side effects are lower on Cymbalta.
Sure Cymbalta's faster acting than Efexor, which takes more time to kick in.
They both make apathetic and lethargic to some degree (but Efexor more than Cymbalta), I have daytime sleep attacks and early morning awakenings with both.
Cymbalta's more balanced than Efexor because it equally inhibits reuptake of both serotonin and norepinephrine whatever the dosage while Efexor takes a dosage of at least 225mg to become a SNRI med.
Efexor's probably more gentle to the system as you can ramp up to huge dosages while Cymbalta's not recommended at more than 60mg.

·
Registered
420 Posts
What do you consider the least worst of the SSRI / SNRI medications? (If you had to take one)

I've weaned off Cymbalta (for anxitey ) over the last four months. Been off Cymbalta for 4 weeks and have been fine until now. My anxiety has come back stronger then ever with panic attacks everyday along with a constant uneasy feeling every minute. I don't like the medication route hence getting off the Cymbalta, but may have come to the realization that I just might need some from of SSRI in my life to function normally. I appreciate any advice
An SSRI most likely will not help. Anti-depressants just simply don't help that much with anxiety. Only a narcotic Benzodiazepine will help mask your symptoms. I suggest Klonopin(Clonazepam), Ativan(Lorazepam), or Valium(Diazepam), or Xanax(Alprazelam). Those are the only medications that will help.

Personal opinion: coping skills are your best medication.

·
Banned
296 Posts
An SSRI most likely will not help. Anti-depressants just simply don't help that much with anxiety. Only a narcotic Benzodiazepine will help mask your symptoms. I suggest Klonopin(Clonazepam), Ativan(Lorazepam), or Valium(Diazepam), or Xanax(Alprazelam). Those are the only medications that will help.

It's probably not wise to recommend a benzo for a long term sustaining treatment though...

·
Registered
420 Posts
Who said longterm? If it were me I would say no medication at all. A wise man knows that desprite measures such as anxiety attacks call for desperate measures knowing that it is just a short term tool to use while you learn coping skills. Then you require no medication whatsoever. Trust me. I wouldn't recommend a narcotic if it were not in their best interest. I just simply say anti-depressants don't work well for anxiety. A wise man would say just stop resisting and you require no medication while living the rest of your life in peace like I do.

Ps: I get what your saying, but it's for a purpose greater than narcotics. A purpose free of pain and all medications. My words serve a greater purpose.

·
Banned
296 Posts
Who said longterm? If it were me I would say no medication at all. A wise man knows that desprite measures such as anxiety attacks call for desperate measures knowing that it is just a short term tool to use while you learn coping skills. Then you require no medication whatsoever. Trust me. I wouldn't recommend a narcotic if it were not in their best interest. I just simply say anti-depressants don't work well for anxiety. A wise man would say just stop resisting and you require no medication while living the rest of your life in peace like I do.

Ps: I get what your saying, but it's for a purpose greater than narcotics. A purpose free of pain and all medications. My words serve a greater purpose.
We're on the same page than, mate. In his op he just indicated that he felt he may need a long term solution, which is why I became a bit apprehensive when you mentioned benzos. Medication can be useful short term, if the person genuinely commits themselves to overcome their problems whilst on them. Stablize your mood, so you're able to face the problems easier. I've always advocated that exposure coupled with acceptance still remains the actual cure.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Likewise brother. Acceptance heals all of it. Glad someone thinks like I do on this forum.

·
MEAT POPSICLE
857 Posts
Confused!!! What is a ssri/snri? I am on the following> Klonopin,Buspar,Flexeril,Welbutrin,Xanax,Oxycodone,Prevacid,Atenonol,Synthroid and an OTC B-12 vitamin << are any of those what youre talking about?

·
MEAT POPSICLE
857 Posts

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
I find these two meds very similar, both quite effective for anxiety but no so much for mood (and this is the main reason why I alternate them).
I've experienced some mood swings on Efexor (which doesn't occur with Cymbalta) so that it's hard to see whether Efexor is good for me or not.
It seems that sexual side effects are lower on Cymbalta.
Sure Cymbalta's faster acting than Efexor, which takes more time to kick in.
They both make apathetic and lethargic to some degree (but Efexor more than Cymbalta), I have daytime sleep attacks and early morning awakenings with both.
Cymbalta's more balanced than Efexor because it equally inhibits reuptake of both serotonin and norepinephrine whatever the dosage while Efexor takes a dosage of at least 225mg to become a SNRI med.
Efexor's probably more gentle to the system as you can ramp up to huge dosages while Cymbalta's not recommended at more than 60mg.
Thanks, it sounds like both work fairly well for you.

·
Spectacular Member
21,089 Posts

WRONG, there are MANY other medications that will help than just the 4 benzos that you listed. Amphetamines, Opioids, MAOIs, Gabapentinoids etc.

·
Guided By Voices
2,396 Posts

I think you mean 'desperate times (anxiety attacks) call for desperate measures (benzodiazepine)'.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Confused!!! What is a ssri/snri? I am on the following> Klonopin,Buspar,Flexeril,Welbutrin,Xanax,Oxycodone,Prevacid,Atenonol,Synthroid and an OTC B-12 vitamin << are any of those what youre talking about?
An SSRI is strictly a seritonin reuptake medication. An SNRI is seritonin and norepenephrine reuptake medication. In my opinion it is better than an SSRI.

·
Banned
4,253 Posts
Haven't tried absolutely loads..but I found Citalopram, (celexa) to be nothing but side effects. I guess it varies from person to person

1 - 20 of 24 Posts