Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
3,473 Posts
Yes, yes. I'm a bum. :( I can't even make a sloppy scrambled egg or nothing! Heck, sometimes I have trouble making a deli sandwich! I gotta learn how to cook because I'm going to be on own soon (moving away from my parents and living on my own in less than a year). So, how does one learn the art of cooking? I can't get my parents to teach me cause of a bunch of issues and I don't know where to start! Help please? :)
Having fun and not worrying about it. Remember first and foremost do not try to cook everything on "HIGH" heat, keep medium heat. Practice, practice, practice, get your friends, family, practice with them. It's just like anything else, you'll get better with practice.

·
Tell me more
1,782 Posts
No one taught me to cook. I started only 2 years ago. Experimentation and willingness to try new things is best way to learn. So first, it's best to cook simple things. Search up simple recipes like Japanese curry stew or vegetable and beef stir fry. Follow them exactly when you are a beginner but when you get better, you can change it up and follow your instincts/intuition instead. You can also find cooking tips online. The key is to start with the simple, easy stuff and then changing it up a bit to make it more complicated. Like for instance, if you are making scrambled eggs, beat 2-3 eggs with a bit of cream or milk very well. Then lightly grease a nonstick pan on medium heat, add the mixture, wait until it settles & cook halfway through and then, slowly start mixing/flipping gently with a rubber spatula. Never use metal fork or spoon on a nonstick pan. Let it cook some more, mix it around some more, and cook until your desired color/texture. Sprinkle on pepper/salt and you are done! And from that recipe, you can increase the complexity like adding mushrooms or bell peppers and then transforming it into an omelet instead of scrambled eggs. Start at basics then slowly advance. That's how I got better. Wishing you luck! :b

·
Registered
217 Posts
I don't really know how to cook either, but I can do basic things like cooking eggs & rice, making sandwiches and salads, etc. I don't really know how to put a proper recipe together, but I would suggest starting simple. Go online or on Youtube and look up recipes for beginners and build it up from there. :D I'm actually attempting to make white chicken chili for the first time this weekend since it's so easy to put together.

·
I'll never pay the ransom
1,427 Posts
When I want to cook something I've never cooked before, I look for the recipe online and see if anyone has done a step by step video. If one isn't available then I just follow the directions. It's pretty simple. Just make sure you have all the ingredients you need first :p

·
Shoe Czar
198 Posts
I started out by thinking, "I want to know how to make X." So then I'd go online and find a recipe. After doing that enough you kind of get a feel for how to do similar things.

After I began to enjoy cooking, I ended up watching a lot of Food Network. It's good for figuring out new things you might want to try or for some nice tips and tricks here and there. My favorite show was "Good Eats." You can find tons of full episodes on YouTube.

I'm currently reading 4-Hour Chef by Tim Ferris. It's a book about learning, but the vehicle is cooking. He explains things fairly well and each dish is focused on learning a new skill or technique that you can apply to cooking other things. It's only 21 bucks on Amazon for a big, hardcover version. It's a pretty entertaining read and worth the investment if you really don't know where to begin.

If you have questions about anything specific, feel free to PM me. I'm no chef, but I'm semi-knowledgeable and like talking about cooking.

·
God. Also bored
10,229 Posts
Google

All hail the all mighty oracle! :nw

Although it's really only difficult if your making really complex stuff.

Baking is so simple

·
SAS Member
4,385 Posts
As a college student, who lives on my own, I have no choice to learn now. I've cooked MANY things that I have ever done in my life compared to when I was not in college..only less than half has come out right though. Cooking is like experimenting, especially for an amateur like me. Before attempting to cook, I only knew how to make spaghetti, tacos, burgers, and tv dinners. I did that my entire freshman year last year..once I became a sophomore I was like "I'm tired of this ish,hahaa."

Some simple YT channels with infinite recipes to start off with..

My favorite NON-YT recipe site:http://www.food.com/

It's like it's own food-related community :D! All of the recipes are categorized, and you can make your own little profile on there in order to bookmark recipes, create an online weekly food menu, post comments on recipes, etc. I actually prefer this site compared to YT now.

Some suggestions from an amateur cook:
-Salmon/Fish ,Ground meats, and chicken breasts seem to be the easiest meats to start off with if you have no experience with meats whatsoever. Just make sure you rinse them off with cold water before cooking in order to cleanse them..specifically raw fish and chicken breasts

-Various recipes might call for cutting and peeling veggies..I had to learn how to cut all kind of ish haha. A good knife would be something that you might want to get. Just a heads up.

-It'll be a good idea to stock up on various spices& sauces. They make so many beyond just using salt and pepper

-You can do so many simple things with basic rice and pasta..you'll be amazed.

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
I'm not good at following instructions and procedures so I just kind of throw things together in a way that makes sense.

If you're really interested, maybe you could take a cooking class. If you're just cooking for yourself, just buy yourself some cooking stuff and start experimenting.

If you want to eat healthy, microwave food is pretty much out. A slow cooker is a decent way to make reasonably healthy meals easily.

·
Viva La Raza!
34,841 Posts
No one taught me how to cook either. Just get in there and you'll eventually get it.

Oh and if you think you can't make deli sandwhiches because they don't taste the same as deli shops, I haven't met the person that can make deli sandwhiches that taste like deli shops. Same with pizza.

·
still delicious
3,038 Posts
I remember that you're Asain. Can you cook rice? I'm sure your mom told you to go wash the rice in the sink haha

·
Banned
451 Posts
My favorite thing to make for the last 15 years is Spaghetti. Never get sick of eating it, easy to make with only 3 ingredients and you have enough left over for at least 3 nights.

·
Banned
3,781 Posts
google>recipe>do stuff>cook it>done

·
Registered
334 Posts
Just buy a recipe book or search online.

I don't understand how some people think cooking is something magical and complicated. All it is is basically moving objects about in a certain order. Whats difficult about that?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I could never learn to cook anything while I was living with my parents. Don't know why. I've been living on my own now for a year and doing just fine. Don't stress too much about it. Everything you need to know is online so start searching for something like "beginner recipes". And don't get discouraged if you don't get it right away - I have burned and wasted so much food its not even funny, its just part of the learning process.

·
Tell me more
1,782 Posts
Just buy a recipe book or search online.

I don't understand how some people think cooking is something magical and complicated. All it is is basically moving objects about in a certain order. Whats difficult about that?
And you, sir, just took the fun out of cooking. :(

1 - 20 of 21 Posts