Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(from a book): because you will not be able to get rid of it any other way, we will never change something we dislike in ourselves by rejecting it consciously. if you tell yourself it shouldn't be this way, hate yourself for it, if u try to convince yourslef it will go away by itself, nothing will change. thats because you subconscious made sure it was there for a certain purpose.
the goal of the nuerotic symptoms are to protect us, either from an external attack or a nervous breakdown.

no matter how much you hate your complex (disorder), be thankful for it fot it helped you get to where you are today. if you hadn't developed it, for example, as a barrier against feelings or situations with which you couldn't deal with, then, it is possible that you would find then too stressful for you, you would become schizopheric (for whoever doesn't know: seeing people that don't exist)

·
Registered
873 Posts
Sweetangel said:
(from a book): because you will not be able to get rid of it any other way, we will never change something we dislike in ourselves by rejecting it consciously. if you tell yourself it shouldn't be this way, hate yourself for it, if u try to convince yourslef it will go away by itself, nothing will change. thats because you subconscious made sure it was there for a certain purpose.
the goal of the nuerotic symptoms are to protect us, either from an external attack or a nervous breakdown.

no matter how much you hate your complex (disorder), be thankful for it fot it helped you get to where you are today. if you hadn't developed it, for example, as a barrier against feelings or situations with which you couldn't deal with, then, it is possible that you would find then too stressful for you, you would become schizopheric (for whoever doesn't know: seeing people that don't exist)
Well said, Sweetangel, well said! :thanks :sas

Star :yes

·
Registered
994 Posts
But if I saw people that didn't exsist maybe I would have friends;-)

Sorry, couldn't resist;-) while I'll never learn to "Love this" I have learned to accept what I am, where I am......And not beat myself up over shoulda, woulda coulda;_)

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Yeah I think self acceptance is half the battle. :popcorn

·
Registered
994 Posts
Exactly, what choice do we have? I used to curse getting red blushing because I was so embarassed to ask for something simple in a store, then, I just "Went with it" things started setting down..........

Getting rid of shoulda coulda woulda............Helps too

·
Registered
994 Posts
But the things you want to accomplish are things we all strive for, so you're "Normal" (I hate that word..) mainstream might be a better word;-)

·
Registered
59 Posts
That's great advice. I went through a period of getting pissed off at myself for having to struggle with all this anxiety...Until i realized that it was just pointless. Learning to accept that this is what i was given, for whatever reason, is definitely a step in the right direction.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts