Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Too School for Cool
6,857 Posts
In about grade eleven my mother pulled me aside and said she had a book that might "help me".

It was "Facts of Life and Love for Teen-agers", published in 1957. It says is sold for 35 cents.

It is a gem. But it did not help me at all.

·
Too School for Cool
6,857 Posts
and I quote:

Becoming More Datable:
You can improve your own datability by following a few simple rules. You are more datable to the extent to which you are increasingly friendly. Loyal friends are always good companions. You are a better date as you practice good grooming habits more conscientiously. You do not have to dress extravagantly to dazzle your date with your appearance. But both boys and girls become more interesting to each other when they have mastered the basic rules of cleanliness, appropriateness, and general attractiveness of appearance.

When to stop - the physical signs:
When the expression of affection begins to be sexually exciting, certain physical signs appear which can be detected by one of both of the couple. Because of the differences between boys and girls in the way they are made, boys usually experience the first symptoms of sexual expression. His face may become flushed. Usually his breathing becomes rapid and his pulse is fast. Changes in his sex organs are obvious. The girl as well as the boy may find that hands perspire freely under sexual stimulation. The alert couple can detect these and other physical signs of arousal and sex feelings that should operate as caution signals for them to stop.

Love Making tends to be Habit Forming:
Persons who have learned to pet with an attractive member of the other sex soon develop the habit of petting to the point where it is extremely difficult not to do. They tend to expect and demand the level of expression to which they are accustomed. Take Fred and Nan, who had developped the habit of petting to the place where they could enjoy little else. All through the early part of the evening, each was preoccupied with thoughts of what would happen when they finally got off alone. Everything else faded out, and only their petting seemed important. Finally their relationship became so focused on petting, and petting alone, that they decided to break up and not see each other anymore.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like the language in this - words like "datability," "appropriateness," "teen-agers." It has that retro feel to it :) I'm not sure what they mean by petting, because I associate it with furry animals...

And as for the subject matter... :? :eyes :lol

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
and I quote:
Love Making tends to be Habit Forming:
Persons who have learned to pet with an attractive member of the other sex soon develop the habit of petting to the point where it is extremely difficult not to do. They tend to expect and demand the level of expression to which they are accustomed. Take Fred and Nan, who had developped the habit of petting to the place where they could enjoy little else. All through the early part of the evening, each was preoccupied with thoughts of what would happen when they finally got off alone. Everything else faded out, and only their petting seemed important. Finally their relationship became so focused on petting, and petting alone, that they decided to break up and not see each other anymore.
lol @ "petting". what the heck is petting?

·
Registered
192 Posts
lol, reminds me of a certain quote from South Park.

In Chef's voice: I wanna' make looove to ya', [Expletive Deleted], Kyle.

158 Posts
I enjoyed those videos, especially the "Self Counscious Guy" one. I don't think it will help me be less self conscious though. A few of those were just so corny you had to laugh. I kind of wish I was born in the fifties, people seemed so much more polite.

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts
The alert couple can detect these and other physical signs of arousal and sex feelings that should operate as caution signals for them to stop.
So those mean stop?

I've been doing it wrong.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
I enjoyed those videos, especially the "Self Counscious Guy" one. I don't think it will help me be less self conscious though. A few of those were just so corny you had to laugh. I kind of wish I was born in the fifties, people seemed so much more polite.
"Seemed" is the key.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Rifftrax.com has some hilarious videos from the 1950s on subjects like this. BTW, I think "petting" is referring to fondling/groping.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts