Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Custom User Title
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's my situation: Last night, I stayed at my family's house so that I could do some laundry. Since I don't have a car, I have to depend on my parents to drive me back home and then to work (normally, I just walk). Unfortunately, this morning, when they were about to bring me back, my dog was "attacked" by a porcupine (she's ok now, btw, it was only like 5 quills, and the vets got them out ^^). Obviously, she had to get to the vet ASAP in order to have them taken out, which she had to be sedated for. Unfortunately, I had work in an hour and it takes 45 minutes to get to work, which is even longer since we had to stay at the vets for a bit. We dropped the dog off, and had her seen by a vet and prepared, and then they took me to work. I ended up there an hour and twenty minutes late. I tried to call, but (and this is really ghetto), the last people who had the franchise on the 711 (a corner store) had not paid the phone bill after it was taken over by corporate, so there was no way of calling to inform them. I tried call my roommate (who work there too) and a co-worker, but no one picked up. My boss is really upset about this and wants to fire me. If she does, I'm wondering if there would be any grounds for wrongful termination lawsuit, since it was out of my control.

There are other people at work she plays favorites with, and also, I always do my work, and keep the store clean, and I normally always show up. I also worked late to make up for the hour. So, it would be really unfair to fire me for something like this.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Your boss is an A-hole. Maybe you can ask the vet to write a simple note, that way you can prove that you in fact did have an emergency situation.

It almost sounds like your boss is just out to get rid of you. She seems a little too "trigger happy" here.

I've noticed the favoritism that goes on in work places. I experienced it first hand and in the end I got laid off and they kept the less reliable people around simply because the boss liked them better.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
You have a reason for being late and tried to call. I would talk to the friends you spoke to about contacting work, and the vet with a note if necessary. Besides getting a lawyer, that would be enough.

·
immortal in the making
820 Posts
as far as i'm aware, they really cannot fire you for being late. especially if you genuinley did try to contact them. from what i know, you have to receive a number of warnings, then disciplinaries first, BEFORE they can fire you over something that isnt incredinbly serious (like punching and knocking out a customer/colleague etc)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts