Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Comrade
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People actually ADMIRE this (expletive deleted)........???

NEW YORK - Lauren Bacall has a few unkind words to say about Tom Cruise. In an interview in the Aug. 8 issue of Time magazine, now on newsstands, the 80-year-old actress says, "When you talk about a great actor, you're not talking about Tom Cruise."

ADVERTISEMENT

"His whole behavior is so shocking," she says. "It's inappropriate and vulgar and absolutely unacceptable to use your private life to sell anything commercially, but I think it's kind of a sickness."

Bacall was alluding to Cruise's displays of emotion and public courting of Katie Holmes in the weeks leading up to the release of his new film, "War of the Worlds." Cruise and Holmes became engaged in June after he proposed at the Eiffel Tower in Paris.

Last fall, Bacall made similar remarks about Cruise's ex-wife Nicole Kidman, her co-star in "Birth." While promoting the movie, Bacall became irritated when an interviewer described Kidman as "a legend."

"She's not a legend," Bacall said. "She can't be a legend at whatever age she is. ... You have to be older."

"Private Screenings: Lauren Bacall" and a marathon of Bacall's films were to air Monday on TCM.

Can someone PLEASE kick this old (deleted)'s ***?

·
Banned
4,462 Posts
Tom Cruise did overdo it so I'd have to agree with her somewhat. I also don't think Nicole Kidman should be thought of as a "legend". I'm not all that impressed with her.

·
Comrade
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mserychic said:
Hows about I kick ya instead :b I happen to think she's right. If ya don't like don't read it man!
My sincerest apologies. Its been a rough day. You were right and I was wrong.

Godmother, allow-ah me to make-ah amends :nw

I'm sorry

·
Registered
282 Posts
She's right about Cruise.... but, while the Kidman comments were blown out of proportion, I think she actually does stand a very, very good chance of becoming a Hollywood legend.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I saw the Private Screenings thing on TCM, and did seem just a bit stuck up. Obviously compared to people like Humphrey Bogart (her husband), Katherine Hepburn and John Wayne, Nicole Kidman hardly seems like a "legend" at all.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
If Bacall thinks that standards in her profession have been going downhill, she was probably justified in letting off steam. I think she's probably just as irritated with Tom Cruise's antics as many other people, although it was a bit harsh to say he was using his private life for commercial gain. She doesn't know that for sure. But the Nicole Kidman comment might have been better left unsaid. Even if she isn't technically a legend, it made Bacall look jealous and bitter to say that.

·
Registered
538 Posts
LilyFair said:
I agree with Ms Bacall.

Tom Cruise is batsh-t crazy and Nicole Kidman is still too young to be a legend.
:agree I think Ms Bacall hit the nail on the head with both her comments. And it's nice to see someone in hollywood NOT kissing the asses of other celebrities.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I'm trying to figure out what is so wrong about what she said. To me, it is a perfectly reasonable point of view (and I happen to agree with it). Are we at the stage where real actors can't be critical of modern 'actors'?

·
Registered
994 Posts
I agree with her as well.

For those she did offend, please take into consideration she comes from another era;-) Awesome;-)

·
Registered
408 Posts
ghostgurl said:
:roll I think she's jealous.
I don't. She has a great legacy. Some people just think that you can't really be 'a legend in your own time'. I don't think she attacked Kidman's acting, she just said that she is too young to be a 'legend', which is a valid viewpoint that some may not agree with.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts