Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
i aten't dead
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey.
So, my laptops not working and I don't have a clue what's going on, gonna post here on the offchance someone might have a clue.
Uh, I don't know how much information a person needs to know about a laptop, but mines a Dell Inspiron 6400 (yes... it's old...) running XP (it came installed with vista but I took that off about a year or two ago and switched to XP as vista was... awful)

Anyway, I already know that somethings gone wrong with the wireless card ("Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-Card") so I've disabled that and am using a plug in wireless adapter (which also doesn't work well, but that's a different story)

Anyway every half hour or so my computer blue screens for about 1 second (way too fast to see what it says) and restarts itself. When it starts back up again it has the whole microsoft "fatal error" message and says that it's error code:

BCCode : 1000007e BCP1 : C0000005 BCP2 : A6F1D1D5 BCP3 : BA4E3BE4BCP4 : BA4E38E0 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 3_0 Product : 256_1
and if you click on the details of what went wrong, it says there was a problem in

C:\DOCUME~1\emma\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER74fd.dir00\Mini081511-01.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\emma\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER74fd.dir00\sysdata.xml
now I dunno what these files are, what they're doing, why they're crashing etc. It's just really annoying.

I don't hold out much hopes haha but if anyone has any clue whatsoever, PLEASE! give me some advice.
Thank you! :)

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
By no means am I a computer expert but I did suffer through Windows for a number of years.

1) Back up everything you care about.
2) When you next see the blue screen of death, record that number if you can manage it - that's the key behind your error. For all I know what you posted there might be too but I only know how to work with the BSoD. ;)

When in doubt, wipe the thing (after backing it up). Get the software and just erase that hard drive. For my Compaq it just bought me two weeks of speedy performance and then the screen would return but that's about when I left Windows for good. I think three years of that shortened my life. :b

Hopefully someone here will know how to work with that error signature but wiping what what I went with when wanting to pitch the thing out the window.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Try: http://www.smartcomputing.com/editorial/article.asp?article=articles/2004/s1509/38s09/38s09.asp&articleid=21091

If not try;

Code:
After reading about all the difficult problems trying to fix that error  message, I tried a different approach that seems to works so far:
First, download and install a free utility called "unlocker".
Next, try to delete ~DFCFF1.tmp, from \locals\temp\
After clicking OK to the message "..can't be deleted.." it indicates the process that is using it.
It was Prt9532.exe (that is Print Screen 2000)
(Well this computer was not supposed have that autostarting, so that must have been left over from a previous install.)
Use Unlocker to delete the tmp file.
Then remove prt9532.exe from the autostart menu
(Used the free utility "Startup.exe")
And so far it has been rebooting without an error message.
Not sure what caused that, but so far so good
Also;
it came installed with vista but I took that off about a year or two ago and switched to XP as vista was... awful
I think I love you.

Also, installing windows updates usually helps, if for some reason you're afraid of installing the updates because of how windows xp was optained, message me, we'll sort something out.

·
Registered
475 Posts
the wipe thing is always a good idea and many of us do it every year or two just to get a fresh start. Windows bashing is terrific fun but when you realize how many things per second the computer is doing, it isn't surprising that they fail sometimes/often. But Emma, if the timing of your failure is really "every half hour or so" then my techs think it may be heat related and the fix is maybe pretty simple.
First, just blow it out with canned air. Stuff the little tube into any cracks you find around the fan area. You'd be surprised what may blow out of there. Also, you can replace the heatsink compound on the cpu. That's a little techy so get help if you need to. Both of these are cheap fixes. Then wipe and reload anyway. lol

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
So tempted to post a shot of my new laptop and go 'ne ne ne ne neeeee ne'

·
Banned
438 Posts
I don't know what sort of problem you are having but I do know how to make your computer not reboot every time there is an error.

In "wodohs" xp go to....

1- control panel → system → advance [tab] → settings (under "start up and recovery) → under "system failure" un-mark "automatically restart"

2- start menu → run → type in "services.msc" [enter] → double click "remote procedure call (rpc)" → click "recovery" tab → under "first failure:", "second failure:" and "subsequent failures:" select "take no action"

edit:

It's been a while since I've messed with windohs xp but one website I remember using (about 10 years ago) to diagnose problems was http://www.pcpitstop.com/ You need to use Internet explorer to use that site though. now i don't know if they got bought or what not but I use to use it.

·
Chlorine and Wine
12,105 Posts
Could it be a Trojan from the temp folder? If so it would have created some processes and messed up the registries... if antivirus and a program such as Malwarebytes can't help it might be best to use a recovery point or just save what you can and factory reset. In fact it still might be better to factory reset than risk screwing something up.

As for the wireless card... huh. I wonder if something's messing with the connection or if it's just a hardware issue.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I suspect that you didn't format the partition before reverting to xp
and just sort of downgraded to xp from vista
using an "XP recovery disc" of some sort, provided by a laptop manufacturer specifically for a downgrade purpose

Am I correct?

·
Big Damn Hero
890 Posts
Without looking at it my guess would be either driver issues, overheating or faulty RAM. Do you know if the drivers for the faulty wireless card are uninstalled or still on the system? Does it crash if you don't have the new wireless card plugged in? Try leaving it out (yeah, no internet :|) for a while and see if it crashes at all.

I've seen issues with wireless cards and dodgy drivers causing constant BSODs, but it's been a while and I can't remember what the exact issue or fix was. Did the crashing start around the time your wireless card broke or has it been going on for a while? Have you installed any drivers or updates before this started happening?

Failing that it could be an overheating issue - are the fans constantly running at max? i.e. is it quite loud, possibly louder than it used? Dell laptops usually seem okay, HP laptops often have overheating issues in my experience, but it's a possibility. You could download HWMonitor to check the temperature of your CPU etc:
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Also, do this:

1- control panel ? system ? advance [tab] ? settings (under "start up and recovery) ? under "system failure" un-mark "automatically restart"
And next time it crashes write down the info from the blue screen, post that here.

·
i aten't dead
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everyone. This thread has successfully scrambled my brain :lol

I think it might have been the old wireless plug in... I got a new one and it hasn't crashed yet (fingers crossed).

·
Registered
956 Posts
Go to safe mode and try scanning for viruses or spyware first. If nothing comes up, I suggest reinstalling windows. You can even do it from the hard drive on some laptops and you can choose to keep your files. It will just reinstall the system files or you could do a clean install if you want.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Thanks everyone. This thread has successfully scrambled my brain :lol

I think it might have been the old wireless plug in... I got a new one and it hasn't crashed yet (fingers crossed).
read my lips:

"new laptops have built in wi-fi"

and it works nice and smooth
which means no headaches and hair pulling to get online
because all the drivers for wi-fi network, are already installed into windows at the factory
if something goes wrong with that windows installation
you just do a factory reset

case closed

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.