Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
roarrrr
4,876 Posts
Whats MDD? Sorry not familiar with the abbreviation.

It worked wonders for my SAD, so perhaps it would work well for GAD. It's worth a shot. :)

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
You mean Lamictal? I wouldn't take it because I think there are better options for both anxiety and depression. Maybe it would be useful in combination with other, pro convulsant drugs. But EarlGD claims that it significantly helps with SAD so who knows.

·
UnDeRrAtED
34,711 Posts
I just got prescribed Lamictal yesterday for depression.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Lamictal is not an effective anxiolytic, but it's useful as a mood stabilizer (working especially on the lows), can augment antidepressants in case of treatment-resistant MDD and helps with impulse control problems / BPD.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
I've started lamictal (lamitrin) in Poland today. 100mg once a day and we'll see..
Normally Lamotrigine is started at a lower dose and titrated up slowly to decrease the risk of a potentially serious rash.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lamictal is not an effective anxiolytic, but it's useful as a mood stabilizer (working especially on the lows), can augment antidepressants in case of treatment-resistant MDD and helps with impulse control problems / BPD.
i agree only to the extent that lamictal isnt going to help social phobia. there was only one study done and although it did prevent nervous feelings it didnt really help it.

lamictal actually in once case study (or more i cant remember) helps ocd. Since glutamate is the main excitatory neurotransmitter as well as calcium and both of these lamictal reduces, the fight or flight response in the brain so to speak is going to be dulled down. it obviously is going to have a more subtle effect however. the key is to dull down the amygdala with lamictal before you dull down the cognitive regions of your brain too much otherwise youll end up as dumb as high dose of klonopin. i respect your opinion but i am hopeful that this med will prevent hyper-norepinephrine secretion from occuring and the only reason it boosts mood is due to its indirect nmda antagonist activity (hence its off label studies for parkinsons)

anyway for anyone who tries it, start slow aim low as possible to reduce the risk of that dreaded rash were all scared of

1 - 11 of 11 Posts