Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My psychiatrist has finally put me on a new medication this week called Lamictal to help with my depression. I have been feeling very depressed for the past year and hopefully this works for me.

My mom has been on it for a long time and she seems to be benefiting well from it, but despite genetics on my side has anyone taking it and seen success?

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
I tried Lamictal and found it to be a true sugar pill -- no positive nor negative effects. It was equal to taking nothing.

And I notice you're in Madison -- I'm just 75 miles east of you.

Karl

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Lamictal will probaby not help with SA or anxiety in general, but it may help with your depression - especially if you are having mood swings and are now in a "down phase".

·
Registered
6 Posts
I tried Lamictal and was on it for about 3 months, while we completed my psycological testing. It's a drug that is used mostly for manic-depression (bipolar).

I didn't have anything negative happen, nor did I have anything positive come from it either. To me it was just a waste of 3 months. Did nothing for my depression or my SA. Just my .02

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I've been on it since October. I think it has helped but only a tiny bit. Lately I've been in a deeper depression but it's probably situational.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Lamictal is a very strange drug. What I have found is that lamictal increases my empathy amd calms me down a little. However, sometimes too much empathy can cause depression (if you feel all the pain of those around you). Lamictal is really weird. It might be helpful to combine with an SSRI if you are still depressed. Lamictal is a mood stabilzier, not an antidepressant, so it is normally used for bipolar disorder.

Ironically, lamictal in high dosages can cause panic attacks. Lamictal is really weird. I'm not sure what to say about it.

·
Beautiful Mess
1,284 Posts
I tired Lamictal a few years ago and got a rash so I was taken off of it. I go to my pdoc today so it will be interesting to see what she adds. I am willing to try lamictal again.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have bipolar disorder along with panic disorder and social phobia, I was prescribed Lamictal last year and it has helped a lot with irritable anxiety and the ups and downs of bipolar disorder.

What works better for anxiety, social or otherwise for me has been the addition of neurontin which is also being used as a mood stabilizer off label.

It seems to kill the initial activating effects of any dosage increase in Lamictal. I will say I feel much better on Lamictal than I ever did on SSRIs.

However, I can only take 100mg of it, it seems to be the right dose, anything more makes me very anxious and agitated. It seems to be one of those drugs which has different effects at different dosages.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Loving Lamictal

I just got a new psych about 6 weeks ago and first thing he did was add Lamictal (I'm bipolar1) and propanalol (GAD, hypertension). Just speaking for the lamictal and my personal experience, holy crap it's actually working for me. Does NOTHING for MY anxiety, but as a mood stabilizer, it's the first one that's worked for me in YEARS. I feel like I can control my depression, anger and disassociation way better. I'm ramping right now from 50mg/day, 100mg/day, with the goal of reaching 200/day and evaluation from there.

·
That's my name
960 Posts
@ MindSculptor

What exactly does lamictal do for you? I mean if there are certain things which usually trigger depression in you and make you feel terrible then does Lamictal prevent these triggers from having full effect?
I am also interested in Lamictal for MDD and I wonder what I could expect from it. I feel crappy most of the time but there are many things which can trigger me feeling even worse than crappy and then I'm totally disfunctional and lost in depression for days or longer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts